Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Model 700 Ark front end loader pump

JMAC

Loader doesn't seem to lift as much as it should.Can the pump on these be rebuilt,if not,what should it be replaced with? Thanks Jerry.

May be the relief valve in the spool valve out of adjustment or worn. But also could be the pump. You'll need a flow meter and other test tools to accurately test and set the pressure. You can adjust the relief valve but just turning the screw without knowing what pressure your getting is asking for lots of parts failure like blowing hoses, cylinder packings, and pump housings as well as possibly causing deadly harm to yourself.
  • Like 1

Jerry, The first thing I would suspect would be leaky o-rings in the lift cylinders. They are not hard to replace. John U

I'd start with the lift cylinders too...if they leak down, you're fighting a losing battle. My hydro lifts havfe all been cured by lift cylinder seals. I am about to rebuild the Cessna pump for my B1 loader, and that old rebuild kit was tough to track down. All the big guys out there had nothing for it, but I found a small shop online in Missouri, and that old boy had one kit on his shelf.

I have rebuilt all the cylinders.I have no leaks anywhere now.My question is still,can the pump be rebuilt or replaced with what? Dave,i know little about hydraulics but assume the practicality of putting together the flow meter and gauges wouldn't make since.I have the operators manual but have yet to see a service manual,is there one available? Also,i don't have a clue what valve is what on the spool.

Jerry, This pump is probably a good candidate to replace the original Cessna pump. I am assuming the ARK 700 uses a similar pump to the ARK 600. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200329710_200329710 John U

John, Thanks for the link.I will check it out. So,i assume the pump is not repairable? Also,is the only manual available for these the owners? Thanks,Jerry.

quote:
Originally posted by JMAC
John, Thanks for the link.I will check it out. So,i assume the pump is not repairable? Also,is the only manual available for these the owners? Thanks,Jerry.
When I took my pump to a reputable local hydraulics shop with a bad front seal, I was told it was not repairable. I bought a $6.00 seal at NAPA and it hasn't leaked a drop since I put the new seal in. The point is, it depends on who you talk to if the pumps are rebuildable. In the long run, if your pump is worn out, replacement is going to be your least costly solution. I have never seen any manual on the pump itself, only the loader owners manual. John U

• 1 year later...
I rebuilt the Cessna pump on one of my ark 700 loaders. I went to a local hydrolic shop and they had the parts for me 2 days later. I had no problems finding the parts for the cylinders valve and pump I guess it just matters wear you look for the parts, and none of them were very expensive either
  • Like 1

I need to find a different hydraulic shop. The guy I deal with always seems to be mad at the world when I go there. He told me, no way was my pump repairable, it has been well over a year since I replaced the seal on the input shaft and no leaks. I just finished moving 6 yards of #4 washed gravel with a full bucket (650#+) each time. That little Cessna pump is a workhorse. John U

Yeah John it sounds like you could find a better shop. The place I go to is called Am Dynic Fluid power I think, they also have a shop in Detroit thats wear my parts came I believe they also had all the specs on the pump as well. There services was very good too but that might have something to do with all the other business we do there 3 dozers , backhoe,excavator,skid steer, and 3 trucks that need regular maintenance well not a ton of equipment it's enough that they see us every now and then.
  • Like 1

Put a load in the bucket, and lower the load just high enough to set a coffee can under it. If the can isn't flattemed overnight you can almost rule out ram seals and control valve. And if the can is flatened, you have to start eliminating items. I am concerned why the pump gears are worn, bad or no filtration?
  • Like 1

• 9 years later...

good afternoon. total novice here when it comes to this sort of thing.

I have an ark model 700 front end loader on my tractor

today it stopped lifting or responding to my lever actions as it did

curious if theres a manual available? googled it and didnt find anything

is there a way to check the fluid level?

tyia

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FrontPlateSteve said:

good afternoon. total novice here when it comes to this sort of thing.

I have an ark model 700 front end loader on my tractor

today it stopped lifting or responding to my lever actions as it did

curious if theres a manual available? googled it and didnt find anything

is there a way to check the fluid level?

tyia

The Left side upright to the loader is the tank & has a vented fill plug on top.  There is a fluid level plug in the side 8 or so inches down.  Remove both plugs with the loader down & fill until it comes out of the side plug.  Yes there is a manual for that loader on this site.  However you need to be a dues paying member to access those files.  Trust me when I say it will probably the best $10 annual membership you will ever pay.  

Cylinders are an easy but messy rebuild as there are three O-rings per cylinder.  Pump seal is also available through Timken & the O-rings in the spool valve are also easy to match up.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, FrontPlateSteve said:

thanks ShaunE. I will definitely join shortly. in the mean time, does this use standard hydraulic oil like my splitter?

I'm not sure what came originally but I have hydraulic/hydrostatic oil in mine. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am presently going through this with my new to me loader on my 4041 Pow'rmax. I just opened up one of the bucket cylinders today, and the issues I was having are readily apparent. Onw of the O-rings on the piston fell off when I was cleaning it. It was that bad. I would suspect these cylinders were bypassing the O-rings bad, as the bucket cylinders would barely move the bucket, and had no power, but the lift arms had plenty. All new o-rings and fluid will be going into the loader, and then I'll look at the rusty/worn pins as well. The spool valves will also be getting new o-rings. ------Metalguy

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Metalguy said:

I am unsure if tghis is an ARK 700 loader, or an ARK 600 loader. What is the difference? The tag on it is largely unreadable.

You have an Ark 600.  I can tell by your pictures posted.  Both manuals are on this site for download.  However, you need to be a paid member to access those files.  The 600 was the earlier variant.  The differences are primarily in the subframe & the size of the bolster that spans between the arms in front.  I know the cylinders on ALL Ark loaders take the same O-Rings.  I've owned a 515, 600 & 3 - 700's.  I now just have 1 - 700.  I'm pretty sure the spool valves were the same as well, just the relief valve shimmed to different specs.  

• Like 1

Good to know. It is very easy to work on, compared to my Case 646 cylinders, but much lighter duty frame -wise. Looks to be in ok shape, but needs some love, for sure. Slowly, and surely...

• Like 2