Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vapor lock troubles

MPH

Spend some time running full speed today and aafter 10 to 15 min the briggs spits sputters and will finally die. If I remove gas line from carb, lower it til it flows then put it back on it'll take off runnin good for another 10min. Will moving gas line further from muffler help or do I need a heat shield??? Thanks ahead/time.MPH

Hi MPH, I'd say definitely get the gas line as far from the muffler as possible. If you still have trouble, you can make a temporary heat sheild out of aluminum foil to try before you buy (make it). I been using a multi-layered foil sheild on an old rear engine rider at my Mom's for two summers. The mower all at once began acting like yours when the outside temperature was above 85 degrees Good Luck, bobjack