Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JordB110

spraying sweetcorn

JordB110
Last year a nice crop of thistles showed up in my strawberry patch. This spring, several weeks before it was tilled or planted I sprayed the whole thing with Roundup. Now after I planted my sweetcorn, the thistles are back and some other weeds too. Once the corn is up I would like to spray 2-4D, but my question is, is it OK to eat corn that has been sprayed with 2-4D? Thanks in advance, Jordan.

Kent
2-4D is the active ingredient in several broad-leaf weed killers, including Ortho Weed-B-Gone and agricultural products. It should be safe to use it on sweetcorn BEFORE it blooms i.e. tassels.... I would personally have some concerns about spraying it later, regardless of what the labels might say. In fact, I have some concerns about what all these chemicals are doing to the entire ecology. Bugs and weeds keep getting more resistent (only the strong survive to breed or seed) and the chemicals need to keep getting stronger and stronger.... This is a very complex issue with no easy solution, and totally off subject, so I'll stop now.... 8o)

AGCO918
JORDON: i sprayed 2 4 d with pasture filterlizer and it is doing pretty good.just dont spray to much.agco918 chad e shafer

JordB110
Kent, That's what I thought, spray it early. It rained so much all through April, May, and June I just got it planted less than a week ago. Most isn't out of the ground yet. I guess I'll wait 'til it's a couple inches tall and spray. Jordan

powermax_paul
My corn is about 12" high and so are the weeds. We had so much rain in early June and now the weeds have gotten away from me. I've now been forced to carefully spray only the weeds with Roundup and using a Hudson sprayer and a piece of cardboard to protect the corn. It's a lot of work in a half acre of sweetcorn! Powermax_Paul