Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sex in the Garden

JordB110

The wife’s garden has been in for 2 weeks. I think it’s doing pretty good. Already have tomatoes and cucumbers. Even the stuff that was planted from seed has little yellow flowers. Anyway, the “How to Make a Garden” instructions in the walker section say to space rows 36” apart. I wanted 48”, but compromised with the wife at 42”, except for the corn. The wife heard corn has to be able to “touch” other corn in order to pollinate (sounds like sex to me). The corn is planted at 16”. That’s too close to use a tractor between rows, so I have to straddle the rows. What do I do when the corn is too tall to straddle..? Please tell me when it gets that tall it doesn’t need cultivating. http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/06-26.jpg

Sweet corn is cheap buy it and save the head ache Use the extra time to follow through with your title.

Yeah..... Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm too tired after working the garden (maybe that's the real deal). BTW.. You posted a response before I could post my next message. I guess the title worked.

I've never heard that corn rows needed to touch each other. Bees pollinate it... We always planted corn somewhere around 36" between rows, and spaced the stalks 8"-10" apart within the row. Some space it as tight as 6"-8" between plants. I don't even bother growing it any more, given the limited space I have, and the space it requires. We buy it to eat fresh, and "place a special order" at the local produce stand for 12-15 dozen ears that we freeze.... Sounds like your wife is having fun, even if you are not....

I know how the garden is, I have 18 tomatoe plants, 40 strawberry plants, 8 peppers, 6 hills of cucumbers, 6 hills of zuchinni, 8 hills of watermellon, 6 different types of sweetcorn in 2 10 foot rows a piece, 10 cabage, and other plants, what I use is is one of the multi purpose trimmer heads, I have a mini tiller/cultivator for that I use, also, what I recomend is if you have a walk behind tiller, plant your rows apart enough to cultivate with that, I use a Simplicity 516rt tiller to cultivate yet use a tractor mounted to work it in the spring-BradW

Kent, My wife is having much fun watching me bust a gut clearing, plowing, discing, and cultivating, after I get done finding and welding the stuff together (To be fair she did all the planting). Brad, By "mini tiller," do you mean something like that Mantis thing..? If this garden is more than a passing fancy for my wife, I'll probably consider getting more machinery. Last year that tough meaty yellow corn (my favorite) was 12 ears for $1. I guess everyone but me likes the sweet tender dainty white corn. Let's see, I could spend another $500 on a used tiller, or I could buy 6,000 ears of corn someone else worked to grow. Tough decision..... I'll check with my wife.

Yes, the mantis is a machine my grandfather has and they are what they say they are, I borrow his all the time and the fact you can also use the power head for other attachments is nice too, good luck-BradW

We farm and our planter is spaced for 36in. rows. In the old days some were 38-40. Jordan

Try to find a Simplicity Rotocul tiller. I found one at an auction for $15. It can be set to till as narrow as 12 inches. Good Luck

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. If there's a garden next year, I'll lay it out differently and get some more power equipment.

Corn needs plenty of room to grow well. Some needs more than others I grow corn that gets 4 feet tall and I grow corn that grows 8 feet tall. Corn is pollinated by itself. The tassel is the male part and the silk is female. Each silk is atatched to one seed. At the right time of year I'll go down the rows of corn and gently shake each plant to get the pollen from the tassels to fall to the silks. It's probaby not nessesary though. I remember my neighbor planting his corn far enough apart to get his B-210 between the rows.