Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JordB110

Bugs Bunny

JordB110
The wife and I took a walk through her garden yesterday. There were several rabbits watching us. My wife thought they were cute until I told her they were waiting for us to have dinner, so they could have dinner. I was instructed to “take care of it.” I’m not allowed to shoot them. The cat’s not allowed to eat them. What do I do..? Fence..? What kind..? How high..? This garden may be depriving some farmer out of a few bucks, but it’s making every other business in town rich.

Mann
I've heard shedded dog fur scattered around the garden is great for repelling rabbits. Never tried it myself but my brother-in-law swears by it.

JimDk
Brian, Thanks for the tip. I'll try it. That sure sounds easier than a fence (at least for me if not Rover). I'll have to find a few small ones that will fit through my vac (gee, I wish I had a shredder like Terry's).

BradW
Jim, I do have a solution for deer that I discovered by accident. Monofilament (fishing) line strung at about 3'. Deer can't see it and they get spooked when it touches them.

Kent
Dutch, My wife sprays the plants with a concoction of egg whites with cayenne pepper blended in it. She strains out the pulp and waters it down enough to where it will spray. The egg white makes it stick to the leaves. If they get a few bites of this, they learn to go elsewhere.... But, this year we're having to test this approach on a groundhog (woodchuck) -- not sure how well it works for them yet. Don't bother with putting up fences -- they may be 75% effective, at best, IMO... Kent

sask
Jim, Do the deer get wise to the monofilament line over time? My biggest worry would be that someone (likely me) would be decapitated by the "invisible" line. We have spent the last few years slowly adding to a fence that is now nine feet high, and has wires every 6 or less inches along the bottom 6 feet to keep the deer out. At one point, I watched a deer get down on its knees and crawl under wire that was less than a foot from the ground to get at the garden. Problem now is that the garden looks like a fortress. For rabbits, I did find that a fine chicken wire fence dug at least a foot into the ground (better to go to two feet") works, but this virtually impossible for a large garden. I opted for a large dog that despises anything small and furry. It patrols the yard and keeps all small animals that do not belong away. She also seems to keeping the deer further away now. Pat

arnoldir
I've been told, and had sucess with dried Ox Blood. Sold in 10 lb box at the garden center. I'll admit that it smells a bit, but it did keep the above ground critters away. Also supposed to be a good fertilizer. As for the Moles, I forgot to spray the castor oil repellent this spring and they came back to visit, sprayed last week and can find no new burrows, so I'd say that it definetly works.

arnoldir
P.S. if anybody wants to try the dog fur solution, my 2 huskies are blowing out their winter coats, so I have plenty to spare.

JimDk
Thanks Dutch, I will try monofilament.I have also seen folks tie small plastic shopping bags on string around the garden. Possibly a combination of both will work.I am willing to try anything within reason.I don't want to divert too much time or money from the tractor hobby,do I? Jim

StinKy
Since I couldn't catch Fifi, I got a large bag of dog hair from a local groomer. Also spread some ox blood. Going to try the cayenne concoction too. Just hope one works. Thanks for the suggestions.