Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

10 HP B&S WON'T ACCELERATE

TOMT

I JUST REBUILT A MODEL 243431 ENGINE. INSTALLED NEW PISTON(.010" OVERSIZE), RINGS, CHANGED TO THE ELECTRONIC IGNITION, NEW NEEDLE VALVE& NEW IDLE VALVE. THE ENGINE STARTS OK & WILL IDLE BUT WILL NOT ACCELERATE TO TOP RPM.IT WILL INCREASE IN RPM IF THE THROTTLE IS MOVED VERY SLOWLY BUT STILL WANTS TO STALL AT THE HIGH END SPEED.IT SEEMS TO BE RUNNING HOT, BLACK SMOKE FROM MUFFLER & BACKFIRES. I'VE TRIED THE VARIOUS ADJUSTMENTS ON THE NEEDLE VALVES WITHOUT SUCCESS.IS THERE OTHER AREAS TO CHECK BESIDES THE CARB(TIMING,VALVES, IGNITION SPARK)?? ANY SUGGESTIONS OR IDEAS TO HELP SOLVE THIS PROBLEM WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. TOMT

Sounds like it's running either way too lean or way too rich. If you opened up the cylinder a bit, might need to reject the carburetor if that's an option. Not sure if the mixture screws can compensate by themselves. If you run it a bit, shutdown, let it cool off, and pull the sparkplug, what color is the end of the sparkplug? White or black? Just my $0.02 worth.[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]

the flywheels are not the some on points engine and electronic engines. that is why it is running hot timing is off

You say you installed an .010in. oversize piston. Did you bore it and re-sleeve to accept the oversize piston first? Just a though, Jordan.