Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Comparison of '70's Bolens vs. AC/Simplicity equip

jlasater

In addition to my AC716H, I have a fairly rusty Bolens H14 tractor with a blown engine. I'm curious what you guys think of the older Bolens machines compared to the AC/Simplicity tractors. I still like the 716H better, but the Bolens doesn't seem to be a cheap piece of junk like a lot of the newer machines out there. I've worked on a JD riding mower before, and know full well how much of a chore they can be to work on. The tilt hood and rear fender on the 716H is very slick :-)[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]

From what my brother tells me of two Bolens he has owned they sound like well built tractors but the attachments sound very similiar to the over-engineered complicated, user unfriendly one that followed me home with the gilsons. might be alright if it runs as good as the 16hp I have and and you got it real cheap and can use it for one attachment you don't now have. my 2 centsMPH

I gave the neighbor kid my old Bolens G-10 in trade for digging a 150' long ditch for me. Took him all day to do it, but he was estactic to get the old Bolens. I needed to get rid of some junk, anyway. IMO, AC/Simplicity is head and shoulders above the rest. Jeff

IMO, Bolens are high quality, tough pieces of equipment. Some, like the tube frames, may be even stronger than a Simplicity for some applications, like a front end loader... That said, 1) They are not as simple to change implements on 2) NOTHING mows like a Simplicity -- not even close and that's probably about 70% of the the hours put on my tractors 3) Some old Bolens were downright ugly -- Huskies aren't bad though http://www.johnnyproducts.com/images/Headlight%20Bracket.jpg

I had a Bolens and 4 attachments give to me a while back for junk. Had been sitting outside for years. I threw it all on Ebay for $10 no reserve, buyer picks up. Would you believe it brought $660 and the buyer drove from Long Island NY out to western Ilinois to get it all. Some people out there do like them. Not Me. Sam

I traded a running 1976 john deere 214 w/ a 42" mower and a 38" tiller for a non-running 1968 bolens 1050 equiped with a 42" mower, a dump cart, 42" snow thrower, wheel weights, scraper blade w/scarifier,brinley plow, and an aerator. The tank was rusty so I cleaned it out and used the treatment from eastwood company for gas tanks and it runs strong (10hp wisconsin). I also have a 1962? mongomery ward garden mark (same as simplicity 725 or AC B-1) my brother-in-law gave me 15 years ago. I think that both have their strong points but the simplicity mows the grass much smoother than the bolens. Both are easier to work on than the john deere 214.

Bolens did make a strong tractor, but since I have a several Ac and Simplicity tractors I have to make room... I have a Bolens G10 for sale.