Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need carb help on my simplicity 7116 (16 Horse Bri

spt1

I was toolin' along mowing the lawn when the motor sputtered and surged abd returned to normal. Then it happened again th enext time I mowed the lawn. I noticed if i pulled the choke out a 1/4 inch in ran better. The third time I started out fine but then it continually sputtered to the point of barely running. Neighbor came over to assist. Looked like A piece of the gasket on the carb was missing. The bowl gasket to be exact. Sooo... of to the parts store for a new gasket. Picked up the oval one for the 'manifold' connection as well. Sprayed the carb down good while I had it out checked the float and all to make sure all was OK. Re-assembled everything and started to adjust the float screw to obtain proper idle. Once I tought i got it... I started to mow the lawn. Of course it did not run correctly. Can any body offer suggestions? possibly a shade tree procedure on how to adjust the carb? It is a briggs 16 HP. I probaly left out an important detail or two so feel free to respond or email! THanks!!!!

Here's the base adjustment I use -- out of the 12HP manual, but the same procedure applies.[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/300401/page_4.htm']http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/300401/page_4.htm[/a]

You may want to buy a rebuild kit and rebuild this, if the adjustments Kent gave don't help. The needle valve may be to blame. The kit is cheap. Also, sometimes you may have to "reseat" the needle valve by using lapping compound and the OLD needle that has the threads ground off (to allow you to turn it while seated). This can be found from an earlier post that helped me, check out carb leaking from srwven.

Thanks guy's. I will give it a try first thing this afternoon. Sorry for the delayed reply. I was on vacation.