Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tiller- Simplicity Rotocul vs Mantis

LesH

Great idea using the wheel to tumble the tank..! I'm always looking for a way to have a machine do my work, and when "free" energy can be tapped that's great.. Thanks for sharing.

I used a handful of nuts and some solvent to clean the rust out of the gas tank on my rototiller (5HP B&S). Unfortunately, the bottom of the tank was rather thin from the rust and it looked like a shotgun had hit it after a couple minutes of shaking. Thank goodness for fiberglass. Sealed it up like a champ and gave it some strenght back as well.[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]

I bought a nice little Simplicity Rotocul tiller with the 3 HP Briggs engine at an auction for $15. Owner said it was shot. It was really dirty. I repleced the plug/points/ condensor. Cleaned out the gas tank- (it had 1/4" of globby gunk) added gravel and wd 40 to tank, then wired the tank to the rear wheel hub on my 6116 tractor. After a mowing the tank gunk was all loose. After draining and doing this again the tank looks new. Starts and runs fine burns a little oil. Took the outside tines off to get a narror 12" path between rows. My brother bought this $300 + Mantis tiller but I believe that this Simplicity out performs it. Anyone else have one of these Rotoculs???

Hey les, Great idea using the tractor rim to tumble the gas tank !!!! I have at least 2 tanks I've been putting off because I usually do the gravel shake by hand. Thanks for a "Simple" solution.

I have a Mantis and I would not trade for any other walk behind tiller.#1 Versatility,I bought mine with a hedge trimmer attatchment.Dealer was helpfull and thru in edger,hiller,oil and hedge trimmer blade sheath.The hedge trimmer alone almost paid for it's self in the first year after the nieghbers seen what I could do in a short time.The tiller take's some getting used to but after practice you can be amazingly precise tilling and cultivating.I used to hate late season sweet corn because of the hoeing involved.But this little unit is great.

The Mantis is nice, but it tends to be too loud for me with that blasted 2 stroke, 4 strokes are much nicer!!-BradW

I was presented last year with a front tine tiller. Except for a raggy Simplicity decal,no other identity remained. Worse yet my benefactor had replaced the original B&S engine and Reversing Gear with a Kohler. I quote him, "You dont need to back up anyway" There is a double sheave on the worm drive input, so there had to be some monkey motion double belt For & Rev. device. Alas, now long gone. Does anyone know what this is and/or what's missing. I bothers me to see this rather sturdy hunk of iron standing idle. GZ