Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty !!!!!

SmilinSam

I was just sitting here at my desk next to the front door looking at some of Kents additions to the site when I heard the cat hiss. Being curious, I knelt down to the screen and turned on the porch light to see what was up. Well, I was staring out the sreen at a cat, and not the kind of cat on the Friskies commercial! My nose was about 24" from the business end of a POLECAT who was happily eating catfood out of my slightly miffed cats catfood bowl. Not liking this particular perspective on things and knowing a screen door does not offer much protection, I VERY quietly shut the front door. I sat and watched while my VERY STUPID cat kept antagonizing our new houseguest. By some stroke of Divine providence Pepe Le Pue quietly left without raising a stink. Gods! How close can you get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just when you think your safe behind that keyboard......... Almost NOT Smilin Sam

Sam, Was that a polecat, like a weasel or ferret, or a bobcat..? Here in New Jersey, shifts in wildlife habitat are attributed to new development. Just a few years ago bears, coyotes, and bobcats were almost unheard of in populated areas. About 8 years ago, I saw the first coyote around here. Since last year I get regular visits from a 15-20 pound bobcat, with a really nasty snarl (almost a roar). Haven’t seen any bears yet. Environmentalists must be happy, but these creatures are dangerous wild animals that are becoming far too comfortable around humans and their supply of food.

Ok, Well since we are on these subjects, I recently learned that a skunk has taken up residence under my long shed. My yard is fenced in and I have 2 children under 6. Last night, I learned that the skunk was pregnant because I saw her and her litter (approx. 7) out looking for food. How do I get rid of them. Shooting would be illegal, any suggestions ? or do you think they will move on as the little ones get bigger ? I had to ask after reading all this wildlife stuff.

Alan, Try contacting any animal rights groups in your area. They might know who has the proper sinus problems and expertise to trap your critters. Also, city or county animal control departments. I currently have two ground hog / woodchuck families here, and of course @#$%@ moles !

Hey Martin ( or is Marty okay? ) Them pole cats are a class of there own. I would say a live trap for most cases. But, would you like to walk up to a trapped skunk and carry it anywhere? Bows are quiet to be sure. Yet, a small caliber rifle, maybe a 'scope would do the trick It's all a matter of velocity... and smell...

If noise is a concern, try Remington Sub-Sonic .22 LR HP cartridges. No CRACK or BANG, just a POP.

I would not kill the skunk if it near the house. Made that mistake years ago. The sucker released it scent near the back porch (when it died). It was over powering for weeks. I swear you could smell it every time it rained for about 2 years. Also, the babies can - and will - spray as well. As kids my younger brother tried to catch some orphans in a box. He was not allowed in the house for a few hours - after several baths outside in ice cold water.

Around Here Polecat is synonomous with Skunk., and it seems I have no shortage of them. You need more coyotes? They are so thick around here the county was thinking of putting a bounty on them. You could shoot 3 a day for a month and not make a dent in the population. (same with skunks) My wife has lost several cats(no big loss) several ducks , chickens, and nearly all the quail she had when a coyote dug under the pen tore through the fence. I know a few animal rights wackos, and it gets them all worked up when you start talkin Winchester. Ha! I doubt if any of them have ever set foot on a farm. A dose of the REAL world would do them some good. Sam. PS: It would'nt hurt the anti-gun wackos to wake up and live in the real world for a while too. Do you ever get the imprerssion that there are too many irresponsible people running things these days?

Absolutely!!! Those same irresponsible people don't believe anyone else should be responsible for their actions either. In my area, so far, we are still pleasantly rural, but I still get a visit from a skunk now and then. We have an understanding: he gets any dog/cat food left over, and I don't get any surprises. It's like mafia insurance.... James

Traps are definately a bad idea, been there done that.(didn't know at the time what it was I was trying to catch) Don't care to do that again. At least it was outside the shed. Are you guys telling me my 30-30 is a bit much? HA! I'd use the .22, but my eyes aren't what they used to be and I cant see the sights right, and the Marlin 336 has the scope. Wouldn't matter anyhow, by the time I find my keys, unlock the cabinet, load the gun, and go outside the varmints are all gone anyhow. Hey BrownA, They tell me if you get the real young ones and descent them they make great pets. Kinda funny how none of those who make the remark have gone out and tried to catch any......................

Cougars (mountain lions) are making a comeback in Western Canada. A woman was killed by one last year while cross country skiing in the mountains near Banff. In populated mountain areas, they have found several of them travelling together, which is very abnormal behaviour and very dangerous for people. On the prairies their numbers are not that high yet, but our neighbours 10 year old came face to face with one last year (luckily they both went in opposite directions).

Sam, Okay, I understand now. In New Jersey we just call a skunk a skunk. There used to be quite a few around here. Most of the 4 legged ones wound up as road-kill. Many of the 2 legged variety have government jobs and are thriving.

Hmmm,people with tractors must be anti wacko. Maybe thats the the big plus of this site,clear thinkin people. Simple. MPH

Being a life long hunter and gun enthusiast I was pleasantly surprised to see thru some of the comments made here that there's still some of us out there..tho people like Chuck Schumer regard us as rabble, scum suckers and just generally second class citizens. Iam a V/N vet (67-71)Navy and NRA Life member so I guess you know where I stand on the gun issue

• 3 weeks later...
You need a trap on a LONG pole and water to drown them in, a pond is best. I swear once they're off the ground and can't brace their back legs they can't get ya. Pick the trapped critter up and then drown him in the water.

I agree with the bow and arrow idea! I live less than a block away from a Grade School and I have shot and killed 3 coyotes in my back yard since Jan. 1st.! We have a LOT of Coyotes here! I've nailed them with the bow, shot off of my Backpoarch, all were killed at a distance of only 10 yards! They didn't have a prayer! Double Lung Pass thru on all 3! :) Dick