Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

'nother muffler question

Dadsy98

I checked the web site on those $100 mufflers awhile ago. They are impressive to be sure. I can't justify the cost though. A few posts ago someone used a small car muffler and was very pleased with it. Now... I have been told that restrictions in the exhaust path will reduce horse power. so, a large diameter pipe and muffler would prevent the loss. My one time experience with exhaust paths was with a Dodge power wagon, I ripped the muffler and tail pipe off while four wheeling in the boonies (details censored by U.S. Army) anyways, that sucker would'nt start after that. I had to use baling wire to reconnect muffler and pipe then it started and ran fine. Here's the question: If I get a larger muffler for my tractor will it run reliably? Is there anything I should be aware of in terms of exhaust flow and back pressure? I am considering this on a 16HP Kohler engine... ... Thoughts ???

Running no muffler is just as bad as not running one at all. If you took a muffler (or manifold on a car) completely off your engine and ran it, eventually it would burn the valves. The backpressure created by an exhaust system actually cools the exhaust valves some and helps them live longer. That being said, the exhaust output on a small single cylinder engine is nothing compared to a V8. A muffler that has an ID matching the size of the exhaust port on your engine should do fine and won't affect horsepower unless it's incredibly restrictive, which most aren't.[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]

As a tractor puller, to get the most hp from a 16hp Kohler you need a 1-1/2" pipe with a 90deg elbow and then about 15" of straight pipe. This creates the right amount of back pressure for the best hp. Mike S.