Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Substitute engine for Simp 4040

StanS

The Onan 16hp CCKA is too far gone. Time for another engine. If the front & rear faces have custom bolt patterns for Simplicity PTO pulleys am I sunk ?? Less expensive to buy new than attempt a rebuild of this mess. Except for explosives, any suggestions for a replacement engine for my 1974 Simp 4040 ??

With bated breath, etc .... StanSomers

I know simplicity used kohler and onan engines on alot of identicle tractors. I believe the fiber disc that turns the shaft will bolt up to the kohler flywheel.
lol

Todd

Considering replacing the Onan CCKB in my 9020. If the CCKA is the same block we may have the same problem. I read here that someone is lengthening their frame to fit a new engine. Not this kid! Has anybody been down this road?

Am having to pay attention to details of the engine like I never had before. Engine front has electric clutch and rear drives the hydrolic drive. The upper and lower pullies are very close together so engine depth is very important. Front shaft has to be exact length, diameter, and tapped size for the clutch. Shaft at rear flush or less than flush to fan caseing with it's tap size and casings 2 taps the same, and bolt spacing just so. Wow! Last few days have been very educating. May have found match in 16hp Briggs twin.
Stan.

Stan,

Depending on how much you want to spend the Onan CCKA and CCKB engine short blocks are still available they are pricey, but sometimes better than trying to adapt to an engine. If you would like prices on those particular parts e-mail me and I can let you know. Good Luck

Mark