Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hammer Lubrication

JordB110

It's a GASKI-RAM-O, made in Kokomo, Indiana. You fill it with oil, place it over a clogged grease fitting, and strike it with a hammer. Wham.... Grease fitting is clear, and you can now use a grease gun.

yeah, my dad had a couple of them, used them on his dozer and my uncles farm machinery. do they still make them?

These keep getting "re-invented" about every ten years. My uncle showed me one he had about 20 years ago. He's a heavy equipment mechanic. Any beginning machinist could make one on a lathe if they wanted to.[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]

Tim & Marty, The above GASKI-RAM-O was purchased about 1959 from Warshawsky (JC Whitney). I can only assume it, or a similar tool is still available. Check with JC Whitney, NAPA, Snap-On, Lisle, or other “specialty” tool dealer. Also, check with Plews, Lincoln, or other lubrication equipment supplier. Many younger (than me) mechanics have never seen or used this tool. I suppose with current extended service periods, new cars don’t get greased too often, and modern lubricants don’t “cake” up. Many times over the years this tool has saved me from heating or disassembling greaseable joints, or from replacing zerk fittings or sealed joints.

On this subject, I bought a JD compact tractor with loader. Three of the four loader bucket pivot zerks will not take grease. So, is this typically a bad zerk? I thought maybe the pin fit was so tight and that was the reason. I probably could not use your tool because the zerks are angled, and i imagine they'd snap off. -Don

dmcluckie, sometimes on things like a loader if you take the wt or pressor off the pivot pt it'll take grease, I remember this from growing up on the Nebr farm, and you did not want to skip a zerk on dads equip.,not sure how, but he could tell the next day, I know, I tested him more than once. MPH