Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A Great Saturday Afternoon

TimH

I got three hours or so to assemble the back end of my 611LT, and my 12 year old son decided to help. It was a great time, and it helped to plant a little bit of the tractor bug in him. I cannot think of a better way to pass a few hours with a lad (of course, it helps when things go well, you can accomplish something, and nobody gets hurt). Now he's motivated to get going on "his" 716H that sits in the corner waiting for rebuild and assembly.

Well, the hairline crack is lengthwise, and the unit is bolted at both ends (four bolts from the extension into the housing at one end, and many bolts from the housing into the transmission at the other end) so I figure it can't really go anywhere. I suspect that it may leak fluid at worst (boy, that 90 wt gear oil is a pain to put in), and that over the winter we'll take it apart and replace it with an uncracked unit. There are a few guys looking for a replacement.

Is the housing alumnium..? If so, when you take it apart next winter you may be able to repair it. I went to a car show once and bought an aluminum "solder" from one the those "cuts tomatoes paper thin" guys. It got melted in with a small bernzomatic torch. The stuff really worked. Maybe one of the members here knows where to buy it.