Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Good_Ole_JR

HARD STEERING / Suggested repair.

Good_Ole_JR
Thought I'd share this with those who accumulate an old piece that has been sitting and perhaps has not been greased properly.. I just accumulated a Simplicity model 4212 that had sit outside about 3 years. Many people do not take the time while greasing a front axle to JACK IT UP, so the weight is off so the grease goes "down" the shaft as well as "up". I could not get it to take grease toward the down-side. I pulled the axle shafts out, cleaned them and took my small body grinder and cut very shallow groves around the shaft from the grease zerk area to the bottom of shaft. When you do this, you can even grease the axles without jacking up tractor. I did this a couple years ago on the SWIVEL SHAFT in the center of a B207 and its been free ever since. I have seen some questions on hard steering recently and thought I'd share this. Marion W. Kerr