Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Preliminary review of Chads AC Yellow in spray can

SmilinSam

powermax_paul
That's good news cuz I don't like Fleet Farm/Farm & Fleet Tractor and Equipment Enamel. It takes forever for it to dry and you have to wait like three days to handle the parts. Where can I get the Chad's Paint? Paul

I started painting the B210 today with Chads paint. Not Bad! The color match is outstanding. Unlike Valspar from Farm & Fleet, primer is a must with this stuff- not for adhesion but for making the color coverage uniform. The tip is not bad but it only seems to allow a real light coat which is good because it is forgiving on runs. It takes quite a few coats to get the best looking results. There seems to be a good amount of paint in each can and I did not experience and splattering associated with some of the other brands I have used. I used a Krylon gray primer for the base and it seems to work well with this paint. It seems to have a good gloss sheen to it. We will have to wait and see about its durability. So far I am pleased with it. SmilinSam

Kent, when I painted my B112 I used the old jd construction, prior nov1 1992 as it is less yeller than the newer, think the cat yellow is more golden than what I used. Can't mail paint cans so thats as close as I could come..MPH

I did notice after unmasking that the color is a hair darker than the yellow on the decals,BUT My tractor was faded quite a bit. The difference is barely worth mentioning. See message #4012 for ordering paint from Chadmb. I have used Farm & Fleet Valspar brand for 3 years now and have had little trouble with it. In colder temps it usually takes a few day to cure hard, but this time of year I am usually reassembling painted parts within 24-36 hours.

As it was brought to my attention, and after looking at the various years of AC tractors here, it seems that there may be two slightly different shades of AC yellow. I will look things over good and get back on this. If anyone else knows something about it, feel free to comment. While I am pleased with the paint I don't want to inadvertantly steer someone else wrong who may want that extra ounce of perfection in matching color.

I also bought some of these spray cans, but after testing and comparing it, I chose not to use it on the Big Ten that I'm literally just now putting together from the pieces of two... It seemed far too dark. Ironically, I just came back from visiting a long-time Allis/Agco dealer and club member, Cal Neely. Cal has a dealer poster that shows that there were definitely two shades of yellow. Here's the AC part numbers from that poster: Old Yellow: 922983 Quart 922984 Gallon 931731 Spray Can New Yellow: 925105 Quart 925110 Gallon 925108 Spray Can The old yellow is much "yellower" while the new yellow looks has more "goldenrod" or something, and looks more like a construction yellow, such as John Deere construction yellow (NOT the ag yellow that goes with the green tractors). I'm not sure where Caterpillar yellow would fit in, but I think the new yellow is even a bit darker than it.... Cal seems to remember that the colors changed sometime during the 110/112 production runs. I wonder if this is in conjunction with moving the manufacture from Port Washington to Lexington, SC? Cal also confirmed my suspicion that the B-series did NOT use AC Cream trim with the yellow paint, but actually used an off-white. The 300 and 400 series used cream with their orange paint.... So, in summary, I think Chad's paint will work quite well for matching a B-110 through B-212, but not so well for the older B-1 through B-12s. I plan on saving mine for my B-210, which will get cleaned up/fixed up once the Big Ten is in operation.... Kent

JBucketman
Guys, When looking for Kent's JBJr. yellow, I found about 7 different shades of A/C yellow in Napa Automotive's Impliment color charts. Hope this helps. John

decided to post const yellow pic here to, maybe Dutch can stich them all into one photo for a side-byside look. MPH JUst for kicks I took the 48in mower deck cover plate, cleaned up a spot on the inside to compare to the 112 as I loaded it up to rake a golf course today and decided from that the jd yellow I used is several shades golder.... http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1642272&a=12566022&p=46427113

JBucketman
Kent, Come to think of it, there was some other info on the back. I will look at them again and get back. John

I am sending Kent a photo of a painted side panel to add to this reply so you all can be the judge. After looking at it all painted, I would use it again but would like to see it either lightened up a little or the price reduced some(and I realize you need volume sales to reduce the price). http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/public/acyellow2.jpg

OK, I've uncovered another shade of yellow. According to AC Supplemental Parts List, OPE 40-5, June 1966, the B-1 used a different yellow than the early B-10 and Big Ten. The B-1 part numbers are: 921285 Yellow Paint, Quart For B-1 Tractor 921286 Yellow Paint, Gallon For B-1 Tractor 921289 Yellow Paint, Spray Can For B-1 Tractor The yellow paint for the Big Ten and B-10 are the same numbers as listed above as Old Yellow. It also calls the "off-white" used on these oldies "cream." The numbers for the Cream paint are: 921545 Cream Paint, Quart For Big Ten and B-10 921097 Cream Paint, Spray Can 12oz For Big Ten and B-10 You think this is confusing -- go check out the pictures of the Big Ten from the brochure. There's at least 3 pictures (including the cover) that show a YELLOW (not white or cream) dashboard cowling, in addition to a yellow air cleaner. The remainder show the "cream" dashboard cowling and black air cleaners... I have 3 Big Tens (including parts tractors) and all have "cream" dashboards, but one had a yellow air filter and one had a black one (the engine was missing from the 3rd one when I got it).... Go figure! Have you ever seen one with an original yellow dashboard cowling? John, did that NAPA info tell which tractors were which color? [A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/models/b_series/big_ten/big_ten.htm']http://www.simpletractors.com/models/b_series/big_ten/big_ten.htm[/a]

Sam, I think part of the problem here is that the yellow paint fades underneath the clear plastic of these type decals, since it is exposed to the sun and light, if not to the weather... That's why my B-210 currently doesn't have these decals on the sides... I couldn't come close to matching it with spray cans. The closest I came, and what I used becaused it matched the dashboard and frame (which I didn't repaint) was American Accents brand, made by Rustoleum, the color was Brilliant Yellow. It's not a perfect match for the faded yellow. But, I'm was so satisfied with it that I'm painting my Big Ten with it.... When I do the same off-frame "resto/rehab" job to my B-210, I think I'll use Chad's paint and replace all the decals this time...[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/images/bucket/top_view.jpg'][img src='http://www.simpletractors.com/images/bucket/top_view_small.jpg'][/a]

I'm just a tight old Swede, Ha! If I dont have to spend money on decals for a working tractor I wont. Like I said I'm pleased with the color overall. Less expensive cans would be great, but not likely possible. I just wanted everyone to see what it looked like so no one gets mad after getting it and not liking the color. The whole tractor will be done Saturday for our show in New Windsor. I'll be sure to have pictures of it all together after that. Sam

• 2 weeks later...
hey guys...i can see about getting a lighter version made up and call it "early ac yellow". the darker version which we are trying out now could be called "late ac yellow". would this be a good description? or would it be better to call the lighter version "old" and the darker(golden version) "new ac yellow"....sam, i agree with you about lightening up what we are trying out now. it seems that after a couple coats it gets a little to dark ......the reason the cost was initially a little pricey was because i didn't know exactly what this guy was going to charge me since he said that this yellow was going to be hard to match up. thanks for the feedback!!!! e-mail me at chadmb@prodigy.net[A href='http://chadmb.tripod.com']http://chadmb.tripod.com[/a]