Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Power Plant

Datac

Can anyone offer comments on the Kohler Power Plant described and pictured below..? Power Plant Make: Kohler Model: 7.5 RMK 61 Serial: 251872 Spec: 45309 B.3.4.6.7 RPM: 1800 Battery: 12 volt Continuous KW: 7.5 K.V.A: 7.5 Amp: 82.6 Volts: 115-230 PF: 1.0 Phase: 1 Cycles: 60 Controller Make: Kohler Model: B-245379 Engine Make: Kohler Model: K-662 Fuel: Gasoline & LP/Natural Gas Governor Make: Pierce Model: GC 1468R2 Spec: 270341 Magneto Make: Fairbanks-Morse Rotation: CW Type: 20 Serial: 4925519 Spec: A270595 Pressure Regulator Make: American-Bosch 8-64 Model: Ensign RVF 75A1 Cust #: B-240402 http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/power-plant-seq.jpg

I don't know, Dutch, what are you looking for? Looks like you have a lot of info. Is the unit working properly? Based on what I see, It seems to be a good solid unit if it's windings are still good. Kohler is as good as an engine gets. Parts may be expensive, but they're a good solid engine. Paul

Paul, Years ago we had frequent power outages, but I had a large trailer mounted generator available, which I no longer have. For the past 20 years electric service has been very reliable, and I never bothered to hook up an auxiliary source. We just had our first heat wave this season, and our electric was off for 3 hours. The Y2K scare didn’t concern me, but development in this area does. I keep thinking of California. I don’t want to be uncomfortable or inconvenienced until the rates go up. When I acquired this power plant several years ago, I ran the engine on gasoline, and put a load on the generator. Since then, it has been in storage. I assume it is still okay, although it had no spark when I tried to start it today (I know you know how that goes). I have next to no experience with small air cooled engines. What I'm looking for is anything anyone can tell me about what I have here, good or bad, before I go to the trouble of pouring a pad, building an enclosure, and hooking this thing up to the house. Its age doesn’t overly concern me, but if this thing is a “turkey”, I’ll pursue another path. Maybe someone will know these power plants had problems with this or that, or were okay except for ______, or are the greatest thing since sliced bread, or weren't reliable when new, or who knows what.

Dutch, I'd say if its all solid fix it up, kinda based on the fact it looks to run at 1360 rpm. I run an ole winco for years before I hooked up to store bought power that run at 1800rpm, with an 8hp briggs, It go 4 hours on a gal and 3-4 years on an engine. people I knew running newer ones that run at 3600 were lucky to get a year out of them. MPH

Dutch, did you get my offer to loan manuals? I sent it directly and may have messed up you email address. Also, thanks for the post on the Declaration of Independence.