Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Horvik

Need help on driveshaft

Horvik
Hey dere; Was replacing the starter belt on my 3416 H and noticed on firing her up again, that there is a wobble in the driveshaft, towards the BGB. Anyone have experience with this kind of problem? I would say that it is out of round 1/8-1/4" although I got no dial indicator to measure it. Any help is appreciated

PhanDad
Most likely a problem with the needle bearing on the BGB input shaft. A fairly common problem if the BGB is ran with a low fluid level. If you're lucky, it's just the bearing, might be as bad as a worn shaft and/or case. It should be checked out before it gets worse and more parts are damaged.

HubbardRA
Make sure the bolts are tight in the flexjoint. If a tractor is run with loose bolts, the holes in the flexjoint will wobble out to a larger size and not keep the driveshaft centered. If this is the case, then you will need to just replace the flexjoint. If everything is found to be good and tight, including the BGB bearing, then 1/8 inch of wobble is nothing to really worry about. I have had them wobble much more than that without any problems. None of them run totally perfect. Remember when you see 1/8 inch of wobble, the driveshaft is only off center by 1/16. The holes in the flexjoint, and the yokes are not machined precisely enough to hold the driveshaft perfectly in alignment.