Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My China trip

D-17_Dave

Thought I would finally take a few minutes to show everyone some of my pics from my trip to China. For some reason I'm having trouble getting the pics resized for here. But I'll keep going till I get it right. I flew into Beijing and then flew south to Qin Dau(I think is how you spell it) then an hr ride south to Shendong. The farm was about a 20 minuet ride outside of the city at a small town. We stayed in a 4 star hotel in the south but working conditions were brutal. Temps were near 100 every day and so humid that the cloud coverage never broke all day. Near the last day we were there we had a Typhoon come up the coast. This brought in some breezes and some relief but it was short lived. Here you see the finished harvester ready for the field trials. We were in the south a week where we had to unpack the shipping container and assemble the machine and some accompanying hardware and demonstrate it in the field. My background with these machines is what gave me the edge in showing them how to operate and adjust the harvester for varying conditions.

Next is me in the field for trial run. The tobacco was nice but it had bad dog leg stalks and was difficult to feed it through the machine. It took me a few adjustments to get the desired results but managed to gain success and all involved were very pleased.

We left the location in the south and flew north to Da Qing and drove another hr and a half to the middle of no where. It was about 3 hrs S of the Russian boarder and 2 and a half hrs E of Mongolia. The small town had little amenities. Small hotel had broken hot water and small, hard bed. The crew we worked with did most of the assembly of 3 machines and we mostly supervised. I still had to adjust and put the units in the field and teach all those involved how to use the machines. Here's a shot of the North crew in front of the tobacco.

This is Shaun. He is the lead assemblyman from my brother's company. He's doing what I used to do when I worked for the business 6 or so years ago.

I can say it was a very interesting trip and I learned a lot about another culture. It was difficult to talk with only an interpreter who speaks broken English and the fact that there were a lot of technical terms that don't exist in their vocabulary. But we made it. We did get a few days in Beijing at the end to see some sights. I can mark off a few items that were on my bucket list for sure. This is me on YES, the Great Wall.

It was a nice way to end a hard trip. We spent an hr and a half on the Wall. Very beautiful country and very steep terrain. Quite a hike for an old tractor guy. The Communist Government is very apparent in life in China. Very nice people but a lot of bureaucracy. But still a nice trip. We aren't perfect here in our form of government but I can tell you all here that you better be very glad your in a free society where information is readily shared.

Dave, it looks like you had a once in a life time experience. What a challenge it must have been with the language barrier alone. You got to see a part of the world that most of us will never see. Just out of curiosity, how expensive is one of those harvesters? Nice pics......

Thanks for the post Dave. That is the best, clearest picture of the Great Wall I've ever seen. Close as I'll ever get to being there. Thanks again.

Nascar thing has ended Ron. This trip for my brother was just a contract thing, one time only. I'm currently working under the Obama form of government. Looking for those shovel ready jobs he keeps running his trap about. And looking.. And looking...........

Dave, great pics, that is so totally awesome I don't know what else to add!! (Not the part about looking and looking, I'm with yah on that. I got my shovel and I'm ready but.....)

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Dave, I sent an email to my old buddy Barrack and recommended you for the Ambassador to China.:D
I'm sure he'll take you up on that Rod, just as soon as I loose my mind and become a liberal.....

My Dad used to travel to China for work all the time, what I remember most are the pictures he brought home of bamboo scaffolding many stories high