Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
BrendonV

Running a Hydraulic Pump off Tractor

BrendonV
I bought a 3 point hitch log splitter because I just couldn't pass up the deal, practically new, Speeco brand. I'm currently running it off my mini skidsteer shown below, the cycle time is a bit slow as I'm only putting out 9GPM off the hydraulics. It eats a good amount of gas being 25 HP, and I don't like putting hours on it just sitting there. I have an idea of running it of my Landlord. Has anyone every done so? I don't know weather to run it direct off the front PTO through couplers, or do a belt setup. I'm thinking couplers would be much easier and cheaper to setup. I'm on a budget right now.

BrendonV
You don't need a disconnect clutch. Use the two holes on the front with pins and you have your disconnect. A 13.6 gpm pump would be plenty, minimum 6hp for those, ideal around 8-10hp. I found a pic from a member here. Looks exactly what I have in mind.
[img]/club2/attach/BrendonV/log_splitter_1_small.jpg[/img]

arnoldir
Hello Brendon, I can't speak to the tractor hook-up part, but have experiance setting up a 3PT splitter to run from an electric hydro-pack. I am using a Northern Equipment sourced 13.6 GPM 2 Stage pump on a 2HP 1750 RPM motor on 230Vac and it runs a 4" cylinder very well. At crankshaft speed on anything better than 6HP gas I thin you have a winner. The key is the 2 stage pump, which has 2 seperate pumps in the housing. The high flow / low pressure section goes into bypass when the ram hits resistance, and the high pressure / low flow gets the job done. I find that my pump only downshifts when splitting oak thicker than about 10". Edit: Forgot to mention that my setup has an open center control valve on the splitter. this is required to let the pump flow return to the tank when the splitter valve is in neutral. A closed center valve will not work with a constant flow pump setup. Good luck with the project.

joelk
That is the picture of my 3112H. It is a Vickers power steering pump from a 50 ton quarry truck (no idea on specs). It doesn't have the 2 stage setup, just single speed. I run it at barely above idle just to get a little more speed on the ram, power is not really an issue. I spit just about anything with it, it works great. One thing about the hookup is the axel needs to be level to get the holes to line up, which can be a pain out in the woods.

BLT
Here is formula.. HP = PSI X GPM / 1714 / P.E. HP = Horsepower PSI = Pounds per square inch GPM = Gallons per minute 1714 = Constant number P.E. = Pump efficiency, generally 85% or .85 2500 X 5 / 1714 / .85 = 8.5 HP Was given to me by a hydraulics engineer.