Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fun with the NOVA II ...... Update

Bailey

Picked up a 3416H last year. Very clean, but the PO had given up on farting around with the points and ignition. The 3410S has an electronic module (not sure of brand) and seems to run well. So, picked up a NOVA II and installed per instructions. Sure enough, backfires like mad, then purrs like a kitten. In fact, won't start without backfiring first. Turn it over all you want, not a thing without pulling the choke. As soon as you pull the choke, BANG!! and then it settles into the prettiest little idle. Figure I'll try Bob's "across the points" method tomorrow. Anyone else have any other ideas? UPDATE ..... Wired the ground to the points and got good spark when testing out of the cylinder. When re-installed, didn't even hint at trying to start. Farted around with plug/point gap and got nothing. Laid a screwdriver across the screw on the points to the block (ground) and it fired up with a BANG and idled. But, as soon as I moved the screwdriver and tried to rely on the points, it shut down. Out of curiosity, pulled the plug from the other motor running on a mod. Amazed to find it gapped at .011?!:O WHY NOT? Regapped the plug on the 3416 to .011 and voila! Fires up instantly (w/o backfire) and runs smooth throughout the rpm range ..... While I'm glad it's running nicely, I HAVE NO IDEA WHY ... and I hate that. Update Part 2 .... Now that I've got it running with the crazy plug gap, decided to take the points out of the loop and see if the gap was really the only problem. Turns out it was ... runs fine grounded directly and will remain that way. Now I've got a carb rebuild and head/valve cleaning ahead of me. Ironically, the PO gave up on it when he couldn't sort out the ignition. He just parked it and bought a zero turn. The irony is that he's a diesel mechanic by trade....

One of the variations does better at low speed than the others. I had the same issue when I tried the Nova 2 on my LL. They are very sensitive to spark plug type and timing by the plug gap. Eventually I gave up and bought a genuine Magnetron coil. $25 bucks well spent.

same results for my landlord 2110, so I changed spark plug gap and ran so good I bought second set for my second 2110. I was adjusting points and cleaning them every few hrs of running tractor and now I have no issue with points.