Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bagging system without blower, will it work?

mroman59

I have a bagger for a 6216 that I was thinking of hooking up to my 7117. I am planning to use the adaptor for the deck made for the 7117 and hook it up to the tubing of the 6216. The 6216 came with a belt driven blower/fan to help move the grass to the bagger. With the adaptor hooked to the tubing there will be no blower/fan anymore. I was wondering what your thoughts are about it working without a blower/fan. I noticed all the new tractors in the store have baggers on them but no blower/fan like Simplicity made for their tractors. They look pretty much like my 6216 setup, just without the blower. Does anyone have any units without the blower that work fine? Comments on how well it would work without the blower are welcomed. Thanks, MR

You could try it by totally faking the adaptor etc using something like cardboard, etc., and duct tape. If it blows thru that, it will work. You might find the height of the deck could affect the air flows also; possibly better at low height - more experimentation. Also high lift large wing blades flow more air - and the lower cutting height can trap the environment beneath the deck, to better direct air thru the chute rather than escape to sides of deck - maybe. If it works with regular blades, it will work 20% better with hi lift blades. Also duct tape attachments are sustainable, renewable, and economical. and re-engineerable - it can get interesting. I'd try it. :D

I have gator blades, which have the wings on them to cause the high lift. My first thought is that it would clog like Mike says, but like I say all the new tractors in the store have the baggers on them have no turbo or belt driven blower on them, so how do they work? I could try to use my blower from my 6216, but that would require some re-engineering. If I am going to need a turbo system, then I will probably need the whole units from deck adaptor to bagger made specifically for the 7117, something I was trying to avoid. Thanks for your opinions, keep them coming. MR

How do the baggers without the blower work? Occasionally. :-) Bear in mind that my only experience is with an MTD built one - 2005 TroyBilt Pony with a 42" deck and a two-bagger. It clogs a lot. When it's not clogged, it works well enough for leaves. Whatever you're collecting has to be perfectly gunpowder dry or it will clog quickly. You also have to be mindful not to try to bite off too wide a swath or it will clog. For my 7116, I've got gator blades and this fall I'll try mowing the leaves in rather than bagging. We'll see. I get a lot - I'm surrounded by lots of very large oaks, poplars and beeches.

I have a JD 42" deck with a double bagger and it works perfectly unless I charge thru tall grass. Damp grass isn't an issue again uless its really tall and I'm in hurry.

Gordon, I used to try to mulch them with a lot of trees. I just got accidic soil and killed the grass. It would grow well all summer and by spring it was bad again...

quote:
Gordon, I used to try to mulch them with a lot of trees. I just got accidic soil and killed the grass.
Wow, I didnt know that mulched leaves causes acidic soil conditions, first time I heard that. thanks for the info.

There were a lot of leaves. If I did nothing I would easily have 4 or 5 pickup trucks full a week. My trees are 150 years old plus. Oaks and shagbark hickorys seem to be the worst with the nuts and leaves...

same here I fill up a huge trac vac every couple days for a month in the fall. we are surrounded by hundreds of acres of woods they all seem to find there way to my yard :) No way a bagger would work well for that task.. I would be emptying it every 5 minutes

Leaves are good. There are alot of studies on this. http://grounds-mag.com/mag/grounds_maintenance_leaves_turn_litter/ http://ask.metafilter.com/102794/Mulching-Mower-vs-Autumn-Leaves http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/report/1999/page24.htm

I have several mower with bagger or box collectors. 1. A Ariens ZTR with a old Snapper bag on the back, It has no blower or vac unit. It can clog if wet or damp grass/leafs. 2. Grasshopper with a turbo off the deck blowing into a gravity box. Only clods if I push it to fast in heavy grass/leafs. 3. A Craftsman rider with a adapted Simplicity back mounted blower 5hp blowing into a big pull behind trailer. It has a smaller tube between the deck and blower that is at time difficult. But the blower is awesome. (Pic in my profile) I use this collector the most, its my oldest and in need of transforming this blower and box to a better tractor and deck. From my experience the bigger the box/bag collection the better you will enjoy the unit. With heavy leaves its sucks to stop and go so much with a smaller units. My big box can haul 300 pounds of chopped up leaves. When I do leaves people see how fast and clean my mower unit works. I end up getting more work on the spot. The key to a non power bagger is get the largest tube with the shortest length of tube to the collector. Try different high lift blades and go slow you will do fine.

I use a tow behind Trac-Vac with a 5 HP Briggs engine feeding to an enclosed trailer. It seldom gets clogged and it holds a lot. The bagging systems on the tractor seem to fill up too quickly. I would get a Trac Vac.

I just thought of something cool........... what about a deck turbo and a rear trac vac...... turbo pushes trac vac sucks perfect. Now I just need a turbo to try it.

Some trees will contaminate the ground. This is a natural defense, so other trees and plants can not grow in the area. It gives the saplings a chance to grow.

now just bundle both together and suck up just about anything. overkill I am sure I only clogged my tracvac once and that was with sticks, plus the tracvac grinds up the stuff...... not sure how well a "plastic" turbo would hold up to gravel, sticks, acorns, dead animal carcases and the like :o) I still want a turbo if I can ever find one. My neighbors got a turbo on a WH416 was near new at beginning of last year......... now it rolls around with a bunch of duct tape..... good ole plastic.

I have the Simplicity 17 bushel cart system and the thing I like about Simplicitys turbo is that the fan blades don't touch the sticks and stones like my neighbors JD system did. I am only speaking for myself but I wouldn't touch the bags hanging off the back. They would fill up before I made a pass across the yard. One thing I don't have to put up with a lot of NUTS in my yard.:D:D