Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vinnie_A

B110 will only start with Starting Fluid ?

Burntime
Try another plug. I would have never believed it talking to blt with a snowthrower. Switched with a known plug after checking the carb 4 times and switching it with a known good one. The plug showed spark but apparently acted different under compression. Just sayin, its quick to check...

HubbardRA
I have seen two problems in carbs that will cause this problem. If the choke plate has been removed, it must be completely aligned and closed when the screws are tightened, or it will not close completely. In some choke plates there is a hole about 3/8 inch with a spring loaded disk that stays shut till the engine starts, then pulls open. This helps keep the engine from flooding when it first starts. If this piece comes loose and falls off it will let a full flow of air go through the hole and that will prevent it from choking the engine enough to start. You should check these out. Most times you can see enough to tell by removing the air cleaner and looking at the choke plate.

Brettw
There are a few things you can try that may answer some questions. If you add a small amount of gasoline to the intake, (you must use caution here, I suggest pouring a small amount into the carb throat, and re-installing the air cleaner assembly to prevent any backfire from causing issues)in place of the starting fluid. If it fires up, it would appear as though your compression is likely good, you don't need the higher volatility of the starting fluid, you simply aren't getting enough fuel to fire initially. If you still need starting fluid, it sounds to me like your compression might be a bit low. If you aren't getting the fuel initially, I agree with the above: check the choke, check that your float level is correct, does your bowl dry out between uses? Will it fire up after it is warm and has been recently run?

gjh
I check my compression last night, about 90-92 which went up to 100 after a few squirts of oil. BTW, I have a spare 16HP someone gave me and tried checking the compression by spinning it over by rolling my foot over the flywheel and got 4 complete rotations, but only came up to 50, psi, no better with oil injection. Do I need to spin it over faster and more evenly?