Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help! Landlord 7010 belt question!

racer-X

Hi I am the new proud owner of a Simplicity Landlord 7010 with a Kohler 10hp and 3 speed/hi and low. I just got the tractor and needed to replace some belts. I am troubled by the slipping belt that is on the left side power take off that goes to the 42" mower deck (not the one in the deck). It seems to be the wrong size, it's a 71" x 1/2" (it is loose enough to take off without disengaging the tensioner) I have tried to cross reference it, but can't seem to find a belt that is close to it's size, which makes me wonder if I am choosing the right belt on line. The belt reference here list a cross drive belt for a 42" deck as a 44.1". 44.1" is a long way from a 71" belt. Any help would be appreciated!

The belt for a 7010 to a 42" deck is 74.1" - HA Simplicity #176439. The belt for a 7010 to a 48" deck is 71.6" - HA Simplicity #163011. I would wonder if you have the belt routed correctly or have the wrong size pulley(s) in the system.

Thank you Mike. Is it possible that there is an adjustment some where that I am not aware of? Maybe I have the deck sitting too far back? (Just thought of that!) I know the previous owner got this without a deck and then added it later, so there could be an incompatibility that is no obvious. Thanks again for the info.

I am not sure of the 7000 series, but the 7100 series has the Simplicity belt #s for all major pieces printed on a decal applied to the underside of the hood. This assumes you have the correct model year/series deck for that tractor. Earlier decks, although they will bolt up, have a smaller driven pulley that would affect belt size. There is an adjustment on the idler pulley just below the cone clutch. That can make a significant change in how the belt fits too. Good luck!

I ended up putting a 72" on the belt going to the deck, it seems to be working. However, I have gone through 3 deck belts. At first I thought the belt was just bad, and that is why it broke. So I got a new belt and put it on. It was shredded after 1/2 hour of use. I thought maybe the tension spring was walking off of the post, causing the idle pulley hardware to rub up against the belt, so I put a cotter pin in. Went out there for a test and within 20 min, it happened again. So what could be going wrong? I know I have the correct belt, an 81.6" X .5". Do I have it on wrong? I took a picture and sketch how I think it should be going on. Is this correct? [IMG]http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz70/johnmstaton/Deck.jpg[/IMG]

Update- it looks like this is a 48" deck, not a 42". I went to NAPA and got an 85" x .5" and ran the deck without the covers on it. Seems to be working, I will put the covers back on and see how it mows this week. Thanks for the replies!

Measure the blade length, it should be be about 16-5/8" across for a 48" deck. And if the deck is a 48" variety, the driven pulley on the center arbor should be around 5" and something. The picture looks like it could be a 4" and something.

John, This is not a rocket science trouble-shooting issue. Based on your pictures provided and desriptions, it looks like the idler pully is seized and as what is destroying your belts. Tom (PK)

quote:
Based on your pictures provided and desriptions, it looks like the idler pully is seized and as what is destroying your belts.
Not being a rocket scientist and all, I am curious. How can one determine an idler pulley is siezed by a picture?

Thank you Bob. I am hoping this will be a work horse first and a hobby second. (Though I am having thoughts of sandblasting and painting over the winter) We have two acres and this seems like most economical way to go. It's got some rust, probably sat outside for a long time. But is very solid, and that Kohler engine oil is so clean, it seems to have been well taken care of in that respect. For the record- the three blades are 16 5/8" but the pulley is 4.5" across not a 5 and something. The idle pulley is not seized. Rest of the arbors turn easy, there's a little play at the end of each of the blades. I greased them up good, probably need new bearings. Is it a 48" deck with the wrong pulley?

I beleive the driven pulley is 5.125" diameter and that would make your 85" belt about an inch too long and not enough belt tension could be a cause of drive belt failures. I need to get some others to chime in on the larger driven pulley for the 48" deck and if that is the case, I have one here. Another thought is get an A-82 belt and try it. For that application 4L green belts from NAPA don't hold up as long and an A=82 (1/2 X 84) might be a little less in price. The difference in puuleys will cause a 13% increase in blade speed but shouldn't be a real problem.

Thanks for the info Bob, it makes sense. The 85" seemed to be pretty good, but there is a one to two inch wide movement between the outer most pulleys when run without the covers. If it breaks again, I will try the 84" and see if that is better. The season is coming close to an end, so if I can keep the trial and failure further and further apart, then I won't feel so bad about spending $25 on belts each time I mow the lawn (ouch!)