Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

JeffH

Mower Deck Arbor Shaft Condition Question

JeffH
Hi All Center arbor bearing got hot and tightened up on me...just got new bearings from Jack's...After I removed the bad bearing, I noticed the shaft looks worn...In the "knurled" area near the seat, the dia is .720...the bearing id is .745,which I assume is .005 under on a .750 shaft...Do I need a new shaft? (don't want to waste $11 bearing) Thanks

HubbardRA
If you are short on money and want to go ahead and use that shaft, you can take a center punch and make a uniform set of dimples around the area where the bearing will sit. When the punch makes the dimple, it also pushes metal out of the hole around the dimple. This will make bumps that will hold the inner race tight again. The more dimples you make, the longer it will last before it loosens again, if it ever does. The tops of the bumps will deform enough to let the race fit on very tightly. Just don't make the dimples so large that the bearing race will not press over them when you re-install the bearing. I have used this technique several times with good, lasting, results.

steve-wis
I believe that the i.d. of the bearing is for a press fit on a 19 M.M. turn. I have never seen .005" press on a bearing that small. The center punch idea works but will give you a much reduced area of contact on the bearing. You can take the shaft to a machine shop and either have them knurl it (this will give you more surface contact than center punching), or they could turn it down a bit smaller and sleeve it, which would cost more but be a much more permanant fix. I guess if it were mine I would look for a replacement first, and if I couldn't find one, then either knurl or sleeve it. jmho Steve

JeffH
Thanks for the help guys....I ordered a new shaft from Jack's for $40....this is the orginal shaft, 3rd set of bearings...30 years of mowing, so I guess that's not so bad (better than the disposable stuff from big box stores)...should get another 30...by then it will be someone elses tractor... Jeff