Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

B-210 1st time running, few things to be addressed

I just got my B-210 running for the first time, I was told the motor was blown but proved that to be wrong. Exhaust valve was frozen. Started machine and tranny works but it is very hard to shift between gears( if passing through neutral ). My Vari drive is frozen and the pulleys don't move. I was reading up on taking the vari drive apart and was open for any tips. How hard do these machines shift ? I dont have anything to compare it to. I changed the fluids in both tranny and bevel gear case. Thanks, Al

Kent
Al, One quick thing to check on your stiff shifting is the neutral safety switch. It sits just above the knuckle where the shaft from the shifter connects to the tranny. Make sure that it is not putting too much resistance on the shift rod... Mine was, and someone had me check it -- a simple fix. As far as your VariDrive, you may want to CAREFULLY try some PBBlaster on the pins that the split pulley halves slide in and out on... but don't get it up on the belt or the belt will slip! Kent

Datac
Kent, Thanks I will check and try both suggestions. I have been reading this site since this past winter and it's been a long time coming waiting to get my B-210 running. All I really did to it so far are free up the exhaust valve, rebuild the carberator, new head gasket, new plug and of course change the oil. Do you know where they sell that PB Blaster ?

Kent
Kent, Thanks again. I must say this site is such a positive part of owning one of these old tractors. I almost sold my tractor for lack of resources / knowledge before I discovered this site. Now I know that we have unlimited amounts of knowledge to be shared through this site. I get responses faster here than from my wife and we are together. This discussion section is both entertaining and educational. Thanks again, Al

MPH
Al, in reduein my B112 sometimes areo kroil would undo what pb blaster{NAPA} would not. So far only sorce I've found for areo kroil is industrial type hardware supply stores, likely to carry welding stuff, Hilti tools and the like.dito, this site is great to be on<