Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jlasater

Comparing the "compact tractor" line of Simplicity

powermax_paul
All of the tractors are basically the same chassis. The Simplicity 4040 and the AC 616 were earlier models with 16.5 HP Onan engines. The 4041, 9020, 620 & 720 all had the 19.5 HP engines. Besides that, many parts including the hydrostatic trans. are interchangeable among these models. The later model 720/9020 are best because Simplicity/AC beefed up the steering parts on these. They are a great tractor! I have three and want more. I use all three and use them hard. Be careful, if you buy one, it may not be enough. More than half the owners of these tractors that I know, have more than one. BWALLY knows someone with 22 of them. Paul

JeffG
I agree with Paul that the later model 720's & 9020's are probably a little more desirable with the beefy steering spindle caps, gear shift locking mechanism, much better seat bracket, relocated neutral switch, additional zerks, etc. However, they are all very desirable tractors and are much better built than anything else out there - even currently offered by other manufacturers (in my opinion). I think one big reason why owners have more than one (personally I own three running units and two parts tractors) is parts availability. There just isn't much available anymore from AC / Simplicity. Remember that these tractors are 20 - 30 years old and require some decent mechanical ability to maintain operation. It also helps to have a good imagination and some fabricating skills. I guess that's probably true with any of these old AC's / Simplicities. I feel that these large frames were the "Cadillacs" of the AC/Simplicity line. Just my 'biased' opinion, of course. ;o) Jeff

jlasater
Looking through the photo gallery, the "compact tractor" machines I saw were the 9020, 4040H, 720, 620, 616, and 4041. Of these, which is the most desirable and powerful from a collectors point of view? Do any of them have drawbacks compared to the other models? I remember driving one of these as a kid at the last family reunion back in '86 in Kansas. My fathers friend who owned it just got it back from a repair place that had overhauled the engine. He couldn't get it started. I fiddled with the main mixture screw on the carb, turned it in, and back out 1 1/2 turn, and it fired right up. He couldn't believe it :-) Needless to say, he let me mow their field and I had a blast.[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]