Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dmcluckie

Help, Looking at Leaky 3416H

dmcluckie
I am looking at a 3416H (1973+ hydro 16HP Sovereign). The previous owner died and the heirs know nothing about if it runs or not. Currently it does not. It has a (big) dead battery. I turned the motor by hand and it seems okay. It turns fine and has compression, anyway. The deck is all there but needs some drive parts renewed. I did not notice if it is manual lift or electric. There is also a 36" snowblower with it. Now for the scary part. There is a pan sitting under the trans to catch leaking oil, and it is full of oil. The trans was grimy but my best guess by looking at the oil on it was that the leak is in the seal between the castings where the right side bolts to the main part of the case. But that's just a guess of course. It did not show signs of being disassembled, but who knows. I'm not worried about the motor, deck, etc., but I am worried about the trans. What's the likely scenario, and what's the worst case scenario (for the trans), time&money-wise? I can probably get the thing really cheap. So, I suppose I could part it out if the trans turns out to be a lost cause. Thanks for any advice. -Don McLuckie

Kent
E mail Bill @ sandy lake He is a regular on this site. At one time he said he had some. Mine has the panitis also. good luck Scott

Brent_Baumer
Chances are very great it is leaking at the control shaft, either end or both. I have a leaking one too. I have tried temp. fixes like O-rings and washers. Some worked for awhile and some did not. Try doing a keyword search for "Vickers" which is the type of tranny you have there. This has been discussed several times on this site. No parts available but if leaking at the control shaft it can be re-bushed for a permanent fix. I think you are looking at about $300 for a pump that has already been repaired. I found a place in Illinois that would do it for $100 but I had to remove the pump and pay for all shipping. Brent

dmcluckie
Did the Vickers keyword search. Boy howdy, is this site great. Now I have to decide if I want to buy a tractor that needs such an expensive repair. Even if I get it for $1, it might not be worth the gamble. Well, if I get it for $1, maybe I'll part it out. We'll see. Thanks everyone. -Don