Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Whats it worth

csciara

I am not sure about the trailer, but I would assume that with the cover it is worth a few hundred or more. The blower unit as it sits, maybe a hundred bucks. It needs belt guards, and does not appear to have the clutch lever which is the desirable way to go. The clutch lever lets you disengage the blower from the driven shaft. The blower is a heavy cast iron impeller, and to start and stop it from the cone clutch is a bit hard on the cone clutch, in my opinion. The deck boot is worth a good $50 or more. The truly tough stuff to find is the hoses, mounting brackets and rings, etc. Complete, it is likely a 5-600 dollar setup. As it is? Maybe 3-350. As they say, it's actually worth only and all of whatever someone is willing to pay.

I picked up the blower unit recently for $40 at a yard sale. I looked around for hoses and most places had hoses for around $15/foot with a minimum order of 10 feet. The hose from the deck to the blower is 7" diameter whereas the hose from the blower to the cart is 6" in diameter. One place, http://www.blastgateco.com/ did sell cut off pieces less than 10', however. Can someone tell me the diameter of the pulley that mounts on bevel gear box shaft that would be used to power the blower?

I have a bunch of 6" hose from long ago. It's super heavy duty and as I recall I bought it to go from the vac to the cart. The tube from the deck to the vac was a home made unit kind of like a flat sheet of plastic rolled into a tube and riveted together. Here are some pics of the hose. This is just the short piece, I have another 20' or so of it. This would be going to Dan but I don't think I'll be making another trip before the leaves start falling. If anyone needs 6" hose like this I would be willing to cut off what they need so they can get their unit up and running to vac the leaves with.

Simplicity did not use a cast iron impeller in their vac systems. They were welded plate steel. If it is cast iron, it's not stock - run away from it. The PECO vacs were cast aluminum. The one pictured above also looks like it has way too large of a pulley driving that fan. Seems like the original one is smaller. That's probably why there is no belt shield - wouldn't fit anymore. Just my thoughts based on the pic and the description. Tim