Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Overhauling a 20HP Command in a Sunstar

jmhusby

Our Command has leaks around the seals and after its hot will push some oil through the air cleaner. read on another post here a while ago where this is caused by a broken oil ring. Decided to call around to get an idea for fixing it. The first guy I called said forget it and through the engine away and get a replacement. Real encouraging. The engine doesn't use any oil other than what it leaks so I sure wasn't prepared for the guy to say this and maybe he don't like repairing engines anymore. Any one have comments or advise? XX(XX(

Was this guy meaning Triad and not Command? The Command handles a fair amount of abuse. I just put mine thru the wringer last week mowing with Cleanbee on land that had about 12" dry and green grass combined. I really got it hot. You might look in this guy's right ear and see if you notice blue sky thru his left ear.:D Do a cold compression check to see what both banks read.

quote:
Originally posted by Brettw
quote:
You might look in this guy's right ear and see if you notice blue sky thru his left ear.
But Bob, what if it's cloudy out?8D
Blue sky or gray matter. Is there a real difference?;)

Oil seals are an easy replacement job. If it's on the rear of the engine, just pull the PTO clutch to get to it. If it is on the front of the engine you will have to pull the flywheel to access it. If you have to pull the engine, the hard part is getting your hand down into the drive tunnel to align the drive shaft with the trans input shaft. It's just a pain. Oil in the aircleaner is very likely the reed valve controling the crank case pressure. Another easy fix under the valley cover just in front of the carb. Common ailments.