Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sunrunner

Help with deck making ? sounds/fixed

sunrunner
Did some mud bogging mowing the lawn today - Now when the deck is level and engaged all sounds fine(even moving forward) - When I twist the deck, I get a metal on metal grinding sound (like a blade hitting the deck) - When I take a look-see I find everything in order and can't get it to it unless engaged and deck is slightly tweaked - Any ideas - Chris

sunrunner
I'll dig into it this weekend - Would bearing make that kind of sound - Like I side (metal on metal) but can't find anywhere/anything that is rotating and making contact with something else.....or that seems out of sorts when spun manually.

Burntime
Hard to say without being there. I may be 100 percent wrong but it sounds like an idler pulley or the deck bearing to me. I always try taking the belt off and turning each pulley. You can usually feel it. Sometimes you get nothing until its loaded with preasure from the belt...

D-17_Dave
You may have tweeked the deck and have a couple of blade tips hitting each other under load. As stated above a close inspection without the belts forcing tension in one direction should help find the problem.

sunrunner
Thanks for the replies! When I move/spin/bang everything by hand, all is as it should be and do not see signs of rubbing/hitting - A bit scary trying to reproduce the sound when your face is down there^ and engine is running - Only when I engage the PTO with engine running it makes this noise, right now can't tell if it's left/right or under/top deck - I will try to watch PTO engage and take the deck off and give a full inspection on Sat.

sunrunner
Found the deck baffle had a sliver bent/cut in it and when the tractor/deck would flex, center blade would hit in such a place that you needed to be right under it to see it - banged it back and now all is quiet - Will install a new baffle this winter.....Thanks Chris

steve-wis
I have a 32 inch three blade deck with the rear baffle rusted thru right in the center. It works fine till it gets into heavier grass, then it starts to fold in and the blade hits it. Makes quite the unusual racket! I will be fixing that one this winter too.