Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Ken

Nelson mufflers

Recommended Posts

Ken
I just picked up a real nice original owner B-10 today. The original Nelson muffler is shot. I was surfing around last night here and I could have sworn I found a supplier. Can't for the life of me find it now? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'll post some pics hopefully tomm. Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BLT
Nelson Muffler Corp is a custom mfg for exhaust pieces and the lion's share of their output is the lawn and garden market. For that market they stock nothing, as most lawn and garden people own the tooling rights for their pacticular design. There were two designs for the B10, a pepper shaker type, round can with a perfoated end(outlet) and a round can with the outlet on the side of the can and the end capped off. To my knowledge, the former is still available under Simlicity P/N 2154379 for around $60 new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BLT
quote:
Originally posted by 427435
Is the round can with one hole facing forward much quieter than the pepper can type you can buy cheap at places like Jack's Small Engines??
Both silence exhaust noise but not near the quality of today's mowers. The round center hole variety can be pointed forward and that helps. My two bits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gwiseman
quote:
Originally posted by BLT
quote:
Originally posted by 427435
Is the round can with one hole facing forward much quieter than the pepper can type you can buy cheap at places like Jack's Small Engines??
Both silence exhaust noise but not near the quality of today's mowers. The round center hole variety can be pointed forward and that helps. My two bits.
Second Bob's answer. Some have welded a short exhaust pipe to the round can and pointed forward to further help dampen sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dentwizz
I am in the process of prototyping a car-muffler installation with my dad on his 2210 for some more satisfactory noise results. Show and tell will follow for sure:D Spoiler is that the muffler is 12 inches long and 1.75 inch plumbing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JimH
quote:
Originally posted by B10Dave
Proper Nelson can mufflers for B series Allis GT's are available at Simplicity dealers. Bought one in August from Brenda at Sandy Lake Equip. for just under $60. Dave.
Just got off the phone w/Brenda. These mufflers are NLA from simplicity. That sucks. She has not been able to come up with a source as yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
timflury
quote:
Originally posted by ssmewing
I have always wondered how golf carts are mufflered.
Golf carts are two stroke with a chambered exhaust. A different animal all together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RayS
I have this muffler. Looks close to the same. It is cheaper in price and it doesn`t blow exhast all over your paint job. It blows it out to the side of your tractor and seems quiter to me and I don`t care if it is a John deere replacement. At link below click on online catalog and type in AM30280 in the search on their site. cheap alternative that is still available. http://www.heavy-equipmentparts.com/default.htm


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadMike
Josh, I added a car muffler on my 2012 a few years back. I bought the smallest round muffler I could find and piped it so it mounted horizontally in front of the grill. It gave the 12 HP briggs a very low rumble and was much quieter. Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Talntedmrgreen
quote:
Originally posted by timflury
quote:
Originally posted by ssmewing
I have always wondered how golf carts are mufflered.
Golf carts are two stroke with a chambered exhaust. A different animal all together.
Not all of them...I'm only familiar with EZGO's, but they've been 4-stroke since the early '90's. Mine's a 294cc 4-stroke in-line twin. With my wife yakkin in my ear, you can't even tell it's running. ;) Ray, I like that alternative...I'm gonna try one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JimH
Thank's for posting Ray. I'll give it a try.
quote:
Originally posted by RayS
I have this muffler. Looks close to the same. It is cheaper in price and it doesn`t blow exhast all over your paint job. It blows it out to the side of your tractor and seems quiter to me and I don`t care if it is a John deere replacement. At link below click on online catalog and type in AM30280 in the search on their site. cheap alternative that is still available. http://www.heavy-equipmentparts.com/default.htm
[img]/club2/attach/RayS/AM30280.jpg[/img]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×