Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2 new to me tractors now what to do???

dave7016

Got a 917 allis kohler 17 series 1 and just got a 7117 with a series 2. The 7117 has limited slip differential. I've been using the 917 to mow but I have a mound system and it worries me about running it on angles. So I want 1 snow machine and 1 summer machine. So far the 917 mows well and I check the oil all the time and it has been ok rest of my yard is flat. I was going to use it for snow and use the 7117 for summer....but is the limited slip going to be that much better in snow??? I have a lot of snow removal....1/3 mile at times. So what to do? Also what oil to use in winter? Can I run multiple lights on these? Anyone have the amp rating for the alternator? Thanks guys love this site. Anyone need a 7016 email me. I have 2 that need new homes. Dave.

Unless I've really missed something, they all have the same "Limited slip". There have been a few small changes in parts down through the years such as axle tube width etc but the basic design has remained the same. On one hub type, (B-10 has em) there are a couple of bolts that run at an angle towards the inner axle, There was a torque value for these (don't recall the number thinking 45 ft lbs ?) and they caused a given amount of slippage under the right circumstances. Later mods don't seem to have them, like my 7117 but the 7117 says Limited slip. Not sure about anyone else, but the only way I have found to improve traction or lessen the amount of slip is to add fresh grease to the differential. THe thick grease transfers more power to the left hand side by causing more drag on the planitary gears in the diff. But that is just my thinking. I have never had a real test for it other than the way my tractors pull some of the hills around here. And there are some good ones..LOL Wish I were closer, I'd love a 7016 !

Agreed, the Limited slip concept has been in from the beginning. It just seems that some marketing emphasis has changed through the years like "Full floating deck" decals on the deck.

FDT's have the 2 bolts so you can adjust the tension of the limited slip. It's actually an adjustment to compensate for wear rather than to adjust the amount of slippage, but we tend to tighten them to our needs. The later models all have limited slip but are not adjustable. They have thrust washers built inside the diff. to control the slippage. Most find this less than adequate. You can research a modification to tighten the later models up to a much tighter tension.

Dave, both your tractors have the same limited slip differential. That doesn't mean you can't spin one wheel out, however. The tractor with the least use will probably have the tighter limited slip.

Not sure about your engine, but in my Kohler 12 and 16HP I run 10w-30 in the winter and straight 30-wt the rest of the year. Also if you haven't yet be sure to drain and refill the BGB fluid. The BGB is a very critical component and you want to take really good care of it.

Be sure to do as Scott says and take care of the BGB. On one of the tractors that I put together, I forgot to check the fluid in the BGB. Guess what, there was none. It only lasted three years of mowing the lawn, running at least three miles in parades, pulling carts, etc. before the gears let go. There was nothing left to rebuild. Shafts bearings and even the housing were ruined. Luckily, at the time, another member let me have one at a really good price. Even then, you still have to completely separate the tractor in the middle to install another BGB. I check the grease in the BGBs religiously now. Also you will notice that I said "grease". I only use 89W90 gear grease in my BGBs. You will not find any ATF in any of mine. The grease is a much better lubricant than the hydraulic fluid that was used in later models. The ones with gear lube were planned to last as long as possible. The ones with ATF were planned to be obsolete in ten years. Same as they did in automobiles.

good to know. Guess they'll both get 10-30 this winter and I think I'll use the allis for snowblowing. Black cab will look nice on that one. Nice marketing on the 7117 they had me fooled! So how many lights can I run, I'd like to put a couple big lights on the cab for winter.

2 55w work lights up front are fine, one in the back. I usually separate the front and rear some way to make it that only 2 lights are on at a time to allow better charging though.