Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

re ploarize flywheel really necessary

tobski

Going to buy and install 398811 magnetron for 243431 engine, place that sells these says it wont work until I have briggs repolarzie flywheel, do the increase the existing polarity of flywheel or change polarity...Anyone think it would work just to put it in and try it? any experience with this? Thanks alot

Repolarize the flywheel. I did the exact same mod to mine and the engine was hard to start, and when it was running it would backfire and run poorly until a load was applied. Click on this link. The address is still current. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=110680 Make darn sure you pack the flywheel good enough to prevent damage. Also, use the new key with the chamfered corners that came with the new coil. I would also recommend just leaving the old points right where they are. That way, you won't need to plug all the holes inside the cavity there. I sent mine out on a Monday, and I had it back on Thursday. Should almost be the same for you up there. Welcome BTW. Oh, are the skies smokey up there from the fire??

So far I cant really see any smoke or evidence that a large fire is burning near the boundry waters.. Thanks for the information about repolarizing, when you did this modification did you try it without repolarizing (is that when it ran rough and backfired). Then when you sent your flywheel out and returned, did it run alot better than without polarizing? (sorry for maybe being redundant, just making sure I understand) Thanks

I have done one with and one without and each had a different outcome. The one in my 64 Landord conversion did not need repolarizing but the one in my dad's 68 did. The purpose of shipping it out is to have it set to spec. For the money and effort it takes to take it out and remove it twice, it is just more consistent to do it once and do it right. When it is redone by Briggs, as my dad's one was in the end the spark was unbelievable. He had the wire unclipped after maintenance one day and forgot to put it back... He was halfway through the yard mowing when he realized it seemed off timing:p It still drove back to the garage with the wire unclipped!

I think i just got my answer from you guys and doing more research from other posts like at [http://simpletractors.com/Club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=97732url][/url] thanks alot for the help, I will have to send it out.

quote:
Originally posted by tobski
Thanks for the information about repolarizing, when you did this modification did you try it without repolarizing (is that when it ran rough and backfired). Then when you sent your flywheel out and returned, did it run alot better than without polarizing? (sorry for maybe being redundant, just making sure I understand) Thanks
The difference was so dramatic, I thought I installed a completely different engine.

Do you need to contact Briggs and Stratton first before sending it out and if so how do you do it? I tried looking on their web site for information for this service and couldn't find it. I have a 16hp out of a 7016H I want to change to the magnetron as I am sick and tired of the condensor and points giving out and now the coil is getting weak. thanks BAP