Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
hotrodtractor

buy a AC 312 ???

hotrodtractor
Have the change to buy a 312 with tiller and deck for ~$400 I know this is the redheaded step child of the line as no interchange with the soveriegns I know and love. Are these any good?

Talntedmrgreen
I've heard nothing but respect for them...they are tough machines. Bummer is, yes, no attachment compatibility. I don't know much about them...pwerlift, or anything like that on your 312? I'd say, with the attachments included, $400 doesn't sound too bad, depending on condition.

sammiefish
assuming running and driving... not a bad price... expect a 40 year old kohler but parts are easy to get and not that expensive IMO. they came in 2 flavors... if the hood has orange on the sticker it should be a points ignition (this is the newer model), if the sticker is black and clear like the b series then expect a breakerless electronic ignition.. no points to deal with...(strangely, the older model) If this fails there is a kohler kit to convert the engine to points. on the deck... check for holes in the front top of the deck near the front hanger bracket... front left, if my memory serves me... on the tiller... check the 3 flange bearings as for the tractor... pretty much the same as any simplicity... the steering box is nice.. a ross... it would be smart to check for too much play there... there is a grease fitting for the box... maybe see if it has been greased...re-build can be expensive is this a 3 sp manual/variable or hydro? for 400 I'd be thinking 200 for tractor and 200 for tiller... not too bad...

Chris727
The tiller is nearly the same as the sovereign tillers except it has a larger diameter lift rod, I think its 1/8" larger. My 416 is a late verison and uses most of the same Simplicity rear implements and sleeve hitch with no modifications.