Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

RobertE

AC 720 rear pto

RobertE
The rear pto shaft in my 720 makes a lot of noise due to excessive vibration. This tractor has been repowered with a Kohler 25hp engine and I suspect that the alignment between the engine and the rear gear box isn’t as perfect as it should be. Does anybody have any ideas how I could check that alignment? I replaced the fiber disk and bushings on the front of the shaft and that didn’t help at all. This is the second shaft I’ve put in and both shafts make the same racket. I appreciate any words of advice. Robert

dhardin
From my limited expense I would venture the 2 bearings in the clutch are bad and causing it to vibrate. At least this was a problem i had. If your not using a PTO attachment on a regular bases.I would recommend to just remove the PTO shaft and clutch assembly. This assembly tunes all the time (even when not in use)and when the bearing start to go it will cause a hole tractor shaking vibration. Tip DO NOT loose these parts. replace the bearings and when you have the need for PTO re install it.