Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

46" Remote Angle Dozer Blade..Fab & Restore...DONE

GLPointon

I picked up a 46" dozer blade with ability to angle from seat. All my others have been "pull pin" type. But its missing the control rod & support bracket. Its also rusted tight...I got it loosened up & straightened a few bent pcs. I found an exploded veiw in a "partstree.com" page. Looks like I need to fab/install these: 1) a Control Rod with a swivel "U-Joint" end 2) a Bracket/hanger for Rod 3) a spring mounts inside pivot body to hold "Latch" in place

One of the skid feet is worn/rusted thru...

I bent a pc to weld on the bottom & a brace on top.

Awhile ago I saw a print somebody made for this rod with the dimensions on it...very helpful And somebody suggested using a 1/2" drive socketset U-Joint...another great timesaver... I decided to use a "3/8 drive swivel socket because it fit better into the rod I made.

I'll tell you, its not easy drilling thru a hardened tool-steel socket!! (I shoulda used a china socket instead of a craftsman) I dulled 3 bits...

I started getting the Blade ready while researching the Mount retrofit...

as always my helper was watching...

MORE TO COME...

nice job on fabicating the swivel rod. makes ya wonder how many people still have the control rods hanging in thier shed. seems like every plow we find never has the control rod. i found a NOS rod a few years ago at a closed down dealer i was lucky to get in to dOd

I decided to make the following "Rod Holder Bracket" so It wouldn't have to be attached to the tractor. Also so I can lift it out of the cradle to make repositioning the Blade easier. If you can swing the control rod (out or in) you have more leverage to angle the blade.

Besides the internal spring (on the latch) I added one to the pivot assy. which makes it much easier to use, it locks in place with no effort & stays there...

Its easier to see it here before I install the tilt springs

The next Pic shows the rod out of the "cradle" for more leverage to angle the blade

then store it back when done...and it stays put

DONE...I hope this helps somebody with their projects

Thanks for the motivation to start on mine. Clever idea with the angle rod! That came out great. Who knows why the angle rods are always missing???.

I may use it on just the clean white fluffy snow this year...?
quote:
Originally posted by dave7016
ok seriously do you plan on using that tractor and plow? Looks way to nice to use. I couldn't.

I'd like to take credit but I saw the socket/U-Joint idea in the forums awhile back...
quote:
Originally posted by MikethePlumber
Thanks for the motivation to start on mine. Clever idea with the angle rod! That came out great. Who knows why the angle rods are always missing???.

I was wondering the same thing, looks pretty darn nice to be a snow pusher. Then again, I have also restored quite a few tractors and pushed snow with them myself. I just wipe the tractor down when I'm done. I think tilling or even cutting the grass makes more of a mess out of a restored tractor. Very nice fab work!

Ken I do the same. My tractors are all workers but also very babied...They work, get a wash, then parked indoors with a cover over 'em (at least the 2 restored ones)
quote:
Originally posted by Ken
I was wondering the same thing, looks pretty darn nice to be a snow pusher. Then again, I have also restored quite a few tractors and pushed snow with them myself. I just wipe the tractor down when I'm done. I think tilling or even cutting the grass makes more of a mess out of a restored tractor. Very nice fab work!