Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Gordan

Rebushing a BGB housing

Gordan
Given the cost of BGB housings, has anyone done a rebushing job on a worn needle bearing seat surface? I've got a good bit of radial wobble on the input shaft, and I'm dreading the possibility that the housing itself may be impacted. Also, as these bearings are seen to be a weak point, has anyone replaced them with a larger bearing and drilled out the housing appropriately?

RayS
Send a PM if you are interested. I have a good housing that I would sell dirt cheap. Basically shipping and some gas money for running to post office. The bearing may be the weak point but it is my experience if the BGB oil level is maintained to the correct fill height these can last 30 years.

farmtoybuilder
Yes we have bored and installed larger-heavier bearings in them for garden tractor pulling. Also made a heavier plate that holds front brg. in place. Will try to find my notes of brgs we used in them. As we did this a few years ago and haven't had any trouble with them since! A good bearing supplier should be able to help you with them. And machine shop for the machine work.