Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HB-112 48" Deck Shield Screws

BMinor8806

I have a HB-112 with the 48" deck. Recently my screws holding the right side shield down have worked loose and will not stay tight any longer. What size do I go up to to replace them neatly without using zip screws making new holes everywhere? Self-Tapping or just the next size screw? Brandon

If I remember correctly, they are 1/4" (6.35mm); I went the next biggest metric size, 7mm I believe. Didn't want to go all the way to 5/16" (almost 8mm).

I tried Loctite too, but it was a real temporary fix. The holes just get too reamed out to work anymore. I started "standardizing" on 5/16" by 1/2" hex bolts, and re-tapped the holes, which is really easy, since the metal is so thin. However, when re-tightening the deck screws, care must be taken not to overdo it. I only used three screws on each side, at the front of the cover, and let the rear of the cover fly free. Doesn't seem to rattle, and the fix has been good for a dozen years. One of the things that drives me nuts on these tractors is how many different fasteners there are. But no metric for me!

I wanted to use flange head type bolts and the only thing I could find locally were threadcutter 1/4 x 20.Was careful not to spin them up using a cordless drill. [IMG]http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr342/locknut-1/Simplicity%203210V/003-3.jpg[/IMG]