Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
eric05gto

Sunstar tiller tines

eric05gto
I purchased a second Sunstar that came with a 38" tiller (#1691735) The tines are worn like knife edges... it will only till 2" or so. I was surprised that they cost about $15 a piece. Does anyone have any ideas to find less expensive tines? The part # for the tines is 172511 and 172512. Thanks.

RayS
Welcome to the club. Try removing the skid shoes. They just hold them up from getting any depth or make multiple passes. They are to the outside of the tiller and where they contact the ground it doesn`t get tilled to the next pass.

RayS
I have often wondered about if these would fit. More than likely not. Ebay use to have a bunch simiular to these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/King-Kutter-Tiller-Tines-5-Left-and-5-Right-Hand-/180642806205?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0f2679bd

eric05gto
Thanks for the quick replies! If I removed the shoes it might get me to a three inch depth, the tines are well worn... The spacing is 2" between the bolt holes. Each tine has a third hole one inch from the hole closest to the tiller shaft that is not used. The tines are also labeled 36L and 36R corresponding to their position, left and right side. Looks like the King Cutters have a smaller spacing. If a Powermax is the same, I'll look for those also. I may have to just bite the bullet, or maybe buy half now and half in the spring.