Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis 48" deck

Brettw

A few years back I wound up with a 48" Allis mower deck. LH discharge for the large frames. This is the deck with the one piece two pulley center driven/drive setup. Single bolt mount, 5" driven pulley. The center spindle was frozen, and general surface rust. I disassembled the entire deck, sand blasted it, primed all of the parts and that's where it sat until I could rebuild it. So now I am attacking it, paint, new roller bar, new rollers, bearings, misc. parts (thanks BLT), and will be putting a new idler pulley in. As I was prepping the idler bracket, I pulled out my Simplicity attachments parts book, and I notice some differences in the idler setup, longer heavier spring, slightly larger idler pulley, slightly different bracket. My question: Were there some slight differences in the Allis decks and the Simplicity decks?

My guess is that they were both used either way and from one to another after the corporate split, and, there were nuances that helped for product improvement. Without product numbers of the mowers it is hard to do a lookup. My two cents.^