Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snow pushin with a B-10

Ken

So, I'm wondering, how well will a B-10 push snow compared to other makes? I have a ton of experience pushing with the likes of old Cub Cadets, John Deere, Sears Super Suburbans and of course, Wheel Horse. None with a B-10. Thus far the Wheel Horse brand won top honors from me for snow pushing because they take the beating that I dish out to them and because the entire plow setup is very user friendly and well thought out. I'd like to convert the blade on my B-10 to spring trip and fabricate it so I can angle it from the seat. Has anyone here done that with this setup? I'm a little hesitant to use my B-10 for snow duties, not that I don't think it is capable but because I'd like to preserve it. (I'm known for working my snow machines pretty darn hard.) Any input is always appreciated.

I set up my BIG TEN last winter with a 46" dozer blade, 4 link chains and a counterweight so the blade had maybe 10 pounds of down pressure as a backup. It worked so well on all snow up to 6" I used it as much as anything and used the blower to keep the banks back. The dozer blade is not so nice without the counter weight, and the tractor could easily have pushed deeper snow with a taller blade. (or with a board or something on top of that blade) Edit: I think your B-10 will take all the hard use the others did, and just maybe a little more. I do some amazing work with this same setup in dirt.

Not a direct apples to apples comparison with the B series, but I think the 7016 and similar are basically the same underneath and I can tell you they can absorb an insane amount of punishment. Normally, I don't go gonzo on my gear but the blizzard last season left me know choice. With turf tires, 2 link chains and heavy wheel weights I was shoving banks back that were just insanely heavy. Some started like this......
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4017/4380975250_39c487067a_z.jpg?zz=1[/img]
....and ended up like this (shot from behind 6' bank, you can barely see the top of the cab;
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/4380975238_d5db4291b5_z.jpg?zz=1[/img]
No worries! Enjoy!

Ive had good luck with my 725 (simular to b-10). There wasnt a single time that I could not plow the driveway. I can relate to Rokon post above since that was my experiance as well. I didnt use any wheel wieghts and I only have one chain and I had no problems. In fact it was fun. Good luck to you, and welcome.

B-10 tops any wheel horse i have ever used. my Allis/simplicity's are on snow plowing and heavy work duty. the wheel horse plow's are stored in the shed. to get the best experiece you have to go with larrys setup but with hydro lift :D. the 46" blade rocks 8D.

It really pushes when you get bar chains(not round edged) and torque the diff lock screws to full setting. It can do a lot of short distance pushing compared to several designs I've used/seen due to a good off-the-line traction. My B-210 variable doesn't jump nearly as well even though they are largely the same at speed. You may want some front wheel weights too for steering aid. PS-- IMPORTANT Inspect the large axle tube frequently during snow duty to make sure you don't have any cracks forming. It takes a long time to reach that point of fatigue, but it does happen and it's pretty rude to replace when it is overlooked. It is available new at least($180) I did mine this past winter.