Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1971 HomeliteT10 Hi-Lo on a Big Ten?

DaveTenney

The Homelite T-10 tranny is called "dual range". You shift the clutch idler pulley between two always installed belts with different pulley diameters on the bgb/tranny pulleys. It's similar to (identical?) to the 7100 series "6 speed" tranny setup. Since the Allis built T-10 is built on the enclosed tunnel frame of the B-110 series, I believe you could swap entire rear ends between the Homelite T-10 and B-110 if you have all the control linkages, maybe the side plates, etc from the Homelite. I've never had a B-10, but I'm thinking the frame is the same as a B-110. If it is, then I would think it would also bolt up. Hopefully someone will comment on the frame similarity.

I think it could be done without too much trouble, but it would be a whole different animal when done. At least one side plate on the 6 speed is special, so you would definitely need to swap side plates. then, the T10 side plates are longer so you would have to use the T 10 fender seat pan. Therefor, for the front support under the seat you would have to use the shifter cover from the T10 also. As well as linkages and rear lift rod to mkae up for the 4" longer wheel base. You would also have to install the hi low range "bushing" in the side of the Big Ten frame to mount the shifter. And, I'm not positive the bgb's have the same shaft?? Might be easier to modify the front of the homey frame to take all the B10 sheet metal from the shifter forward. :D:D

If you put the six speed setup in a B-112 or B-210/212 its just a simple bolt up affair, and you just re-use all your yellow sheet metal. The hi-low lever should fit right into the variable lever hole with no problems. I wouldnt want to do it to a B-110 short frame setup because of the tinwork differences.

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll pass on the rear end and keep looking for a Hi-Lo. I have four round hoods and no Hi-Lo. I have two 50x100 gardens and use the tiller a lot and would like to go a bit slower than the three speed will allow. Dave

How big a pulley do you have on the transaxle now Dave?? I'm considering a 10" pulley because the 8" pulley drives the tractor a little too fast for tilling in first gear. I'll at least do this while my search for a hi-lo continues.

I think it's an 8". I'll have to check tonight...I am having the same issue; she is just a bit too fast for tilling. Especially when I push the clutch in and forget to raise the tiller:O

Measured it tonight and it has the original 6" Pulley on it. I stopped at Rural King on the way home from work and they have the weld it yourself 10" pulley and hub for about $15. Looks like that's what I'm going to go with...

• 4 weeks later...
Got the 10" pulley on and tilled both gardens. Speed is just about perfect for tilling in 1st gear. Thanks for the advise!