Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

917H with 20hp Honda and Power Steering

RayS

Will install air cleaner toorrow.

Added electric spout rotator switch to dash.

Thanks Bob for all the help on the wiring issues. Wanted to paint this but will have to wait until next year. Sandblast guy is busy. Runs great. Next powering steering in the Deutz 916H and possibly the 7790.
  • Like 1

I haven`t done anything with it yet. When I bought the tractor it didn`t have the KT in it. I put a new 16hp Briggs in it. The Honda has more torque that the KT and I am sure more than the 16hp Briggs. The torque listed for the Honda is more than what is listed for the Lombardini in my 7790. It isn`t much more and I don`t know if it is accurate but I would have to think they knew what they were listing. I know it is definitely Quiter than the Briggs and definitely the diesel.

looks great nice fab work. A+ on that muffler wish we were closer and you were for hire :D. You did a remote air filter deal right? I was thinking about that for the 31hp vanguard I am doing but will just spend the $200 and get the air hat style. Bye the way please share if you found a source for the steering control rubber condom deal.

Kevin, the dust cap is in the link below. It is on eBay . They are $1.89 each. snug fit and works great. If you were closer I would make the muffler. Mike is close and likes Oktoberfest. Maybe you could persuade him. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=118634

Remote air cleaner

Wayne, below is a manual for the power steering. You can definitely tell a big difference in steering now. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=jgEBGP_dqH5tG7EPl7mRgtLvBCd6

Included picture of the diesel for Mike. May start putting power steering in the Deutz today or tomorrow. Will need to buy a dash panel from Simplicity to put a power steering unit in the diesel other than that I have all the parts. Need to get a few sandblasted. Mowed for an hour or so yesterday and it worked great until the reed valve stuck. Used it another 1-1/2 after that and everything is fine now. Happy with both the Honda and the power steering.

Dan, it sure did what do you do to stop that? It does that on my Briggs 16hp as well. Probably unavoidable. Probably be better if the screen rotated with the flywheel. I am going to put a 16hp Briggs screen between the driveshaft and the flywheel adaptor the the screen will rotate with flywheel. I will just leave the stationary screen that is molded into the flywheel shroud there.

I usually stop half way thru mowing and clean it off and then again when I'm finished. I have thought about doing something similar to what you are thinking of trying. Let us know how the screen works. Dan

Ray, How did you overcome the power steering "lag" issue on these tractors? I converted one and was never satisfied with the lag in the power steering. At times it would be hard to turn. Maybe my hydro pump was marginal but I checked the pressure and it was about 750 lbs as I remember. Bruce

There isn`t any lag in mine. Actully seems more responsive than the manual steering. Did you try changing the hydro filter and oil? Working on power steering on my Deutz today. See how that goes. The unit going in that is from a 1999 sovereign with a blown Triad and the one in the 917H is from a 1997 with blown Command from a Sovereign.

Dan, went from this.

To this. I will see how it turns out. The briggs screen turns with the driveshaft. I shouldn`t have to remove the factory screen molded into the cover. If so it won`t take much.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Darl Swartz
    • a_sannine
    • Snojetter
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts