Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Winterizing Options

bowhunt4life

Wondering what you do to winterize your fleet? My 64 Landlord and 65 Big 10 will be outside under a lean2. The sides will be tarped to keep the snow out. I plan on running the tanks dry and that is pretty much it. Oh and I plan on putting Decon mouse pellets around both of them to prevent the little buggers from nesting in the motors. Am I missing anything besides building a heated shop:D

I would not run steal tanks dry. They will rust. Fill em up and stable them. Its going to be 4 months or so and you should be fine. Thats just me. I actually use seafoam and have not had issues...

Okay I can do that, fill them up. How much seafoam do you use in the tanks? I have used Stabil before and now use seafoam when I fill the tanks up. Is one better than the other for winter storage? Thanks,

Seafoam is a cleaner AND a stabilizer. I had old gas that had sat for a long time in one 5 gallon can. I dumped it in and the sovereign all but died. I dumped some seafoam in and with in 2 laps it was running smooth. It did not have a ton of power but it ran fine. Read the can, I just dump some in. Probably too much but it works for me.

I would also ask if you plan to run the tractor once in a while over the winter. When I had more than the one worker, one was up in the rear shed and there for the duration. But I did go up and start it and let it run for a bit every 3 weeks or so. If you plan to park 'em under the tarp until spring, I would pull the batteries and place them on a block of wood in the basement. They won't lose their charge and potentially freeze, and they will be ready in the spring. I also would recommend filling the tank and using Stabil or Seafoam. If the tanks are full there is very little room for condensation, gaskets and seals don't dry out in the carb. A few moth balls or Bounce dryer sheets will keep the little critters away too. Decon mouse pellets will kill some mice, but when they are eaten and gone, your protection is gone. The pellets also actually will attract mice, they are "food". Moth balls or dryer sheets repel the mice. Just my two cents worth, which in today's economy ain't much......

I also pull the plugs and spray in some storage lube and turn over before putting the plugs back. Also spray any exposed rods on cylinders. Consider jacking up and blocking to keep load off the tires.

I have 5 tractors, but only one is used in the winter. The others get full tanks with sta-bil in it. I also run them all at least once a month for long enough to get them fully warmed up. I don't change oil in the fall on them, I wait till spring and then do oil changes, tune ups, etc. Never had a problem with any, except one time I did have a valve stick on an engine that I didn't run all winter. Steve

Full tanks, empty carbs. I've done this on my motorcycle, and all my 4 stroke equipment for years without any problems. The two stroke stuff like the chainsaw and weedeater get the fuel completely drained and ran out of fuel before winter storage. I must be one of the lucky ones as I do not use any kind of fuel stabilizers and I have not had any problems.

I haul my gas in 5gal cans,I put Sta-Bil in each time I fill the cans that way I don't miss any of my tractors. I fire them up on occasion just to hear them run and let the battery charge. I change the oil each fall in my winter work tractors the rest get there oil changed in the spring.

Our local Kwik Trip as ethanol free unleaded and I use that in all my FDT's and ATV and other small engine toys. I will be using STABILL and the ehtanol free gas and keep the fuel line shut off.

• 1 month later...
Where do you put the dryer sheets to repel the mice? on the ground, on the motor? Suggestions or tip? Will be winterizing this weekend. Thanks, Chris

I would put them on top of the motor, around the motor, etc. They do not like ths smell apparently. So anywhere in the area of the engine should keep them at bay.

Just wad the drier sheets up and put them around the sheet metal that's where the little buggers go. I don't see why everyone seam to be afraid of ethanol,if you have a gas line freeze the first thing you do is add heat or some other fuel antifreeze product. What is it??? Alcohol. I have used it for years with no problems.

I'd love to be able to use my 620 all winter, but it's in at a place in the snow belt where about 3 feet of snow accumulates and where my way in is by snowshoe or ski, so the tractor gets tarped and winterized. It deserves a shed, and hopefully will get one if I ever get the cottage finished.

quote:
Originally posted by timflury
Full tanks, empty carbs. I've done this on my motorcycle, and all my 4 stroke equipment for years without any problems. The two stroke stuff like the chainsaw and weedeater get the fuel completely drained and ran out of fuel before winter storage. I must be one of the lucky ones as I do not use any kind of fuel stabilizers and I have not had any problems.
do the same here. also when i bring the non runners home and they are going to sit awhile i dump used oil in the gas tanks untill i can get to them. i have had some tractors sit for 2yrs before i get a chance to look at them or need them.

I had read that ethenol heavy fuels are notorious for deteriorating fuel lines, filters and gaskets, most especially when the fuel sits stagnant. The chemical reaction between certain rubbers and the ethanol most often causes a build of of gel-crap in the fuel system, later plugging jets, etc. and causing gasket leaks. Fact or Myth? I dunno... I personally, have no local source for ethanol free fuel and deal with it. With the exception of boats, we generally just fire things up from time to time, and like to keep tanks full, to avoid moisture build up from the constant freeze and thaw cycles we see in MI. A finger run around the inside of a less than full tank during winter here, will be dripping wet with H2O. I do pull some of my batteries...

Fresh gas and fresh StaBil. Also, get Bounce dryer sheets and stuff 'em near the flywheel area on both sides to discourage mice. They hate the smell. Also stick some down around the belt guards on your mower deck(s). DeCon is good too.

quote:
Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy
DeCon is good too.
Years ago when I stored cars in the winter, I would buy three Decons. I would put one on the floor under the car, one under the hood on top of the air cleaner, and the third would be in a visible spot inside the car. Why inside?? Well, if the Decon inside the car was untouched in the spring, the car is mouse tight. dOddOd

For those of you storing for the winter, use the gas treatment, take out the batteries, do all or part of what is shown above. Be sure, though, that the engines are on compression before leaving them alone for the winter. If the engine is on compression, both valves are closed, less likely to stick through the winter. I am still a fan of Marvel Mystery oil in the intake(while running) until the engine smokes badly before shutting something down for storage. The Marvel gets into the entire combustion area, on valves, rings, walls, seats, and protects until the next time the engine is started. You'll have to clean the plug before starting

• 11 months later...