Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
GWGAllisfan

Drive shaft variations

GWGAllisfan
How many different drive-shaft lengths are there? why I ask: I had a major failure of the engine to fiber disk bolts on my 712. seriously bent the drive shaft, destroyed the disks, etc. Makes a lot of noise, but did much less damage than it would have had it been the other end. I had two drive-shafts from previously retired tractors, a 410, and a 7119. Measuring the old one best I could, I had one that I thought was the same, and one about 2" longer. When I went to put the closer one in it was about 1/8" too long. I was able to adjust the BGB yoke that much, and make it work, but I was surprised to see that? Any one with encyclopedic knowledge out there?

SmilinSam
If you want encyclopedic knowledge I'm afraid you are SOL with me. My pages are getting moldy and dry rotted. They seem to fall apart everytime I open my mind up:p 4 to 6 over the years and models I think, maybe more. I think I currently have 4 different sizes out in the shed at the moment. Cant remember what lengths they are off hand.

SmilinSam
Went out with the tape measure and did some measuring: 17 3/8" (7100 Series made for wide rubber coupler) 18 1/8" 18 3/8" 18 3/4" 19 1/8" I know the ones on the 700 & 725 tractors are 20 some inches long too, but dont have one.