Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jmhusby

Just an update on my Agco/Sunstar Repair

jmhusby
Stopped and talked to the Service Manager and mechanic this morning about the engine problem they feel the head is the major problem of the bent pushrod. Mechanic took the bent rod and straightened it and put it back in and turned the engine over and it was bent again. My guess is the head overheated and warped?? We try and keep it clean but it must have gotten hot mowing the last time. In my estimation this was not a well designed tractor. Engine has to come out to work on the problem. New head and needed parts and gasket will run $350-400 and labor would be $300-500 depending the problems getting it out and putting it back in. I need to let them know Monday if I want to fix it. Not sure I want to mess around and part it out. 48" deck and two-stage blower. Has power steering and the high-low range. Good snowblowing unit. Would I be wrong in parting or sell the unit as is if I don't fix it? Thanks.:(!:(!

acfarmer
A bent pushrod on those engines cannot be straightened and then put back in and work,it'll bend again.They need to put in a new push rod any 'mechanic' that works on these engines should know that.

CarlH
Is the valve and/or rocker arm for that pushrod free? That is will it move as far as the other valve on that head? Having been inside a Command, it would take a LOT of heat to warp a head that much and it would seem likely to have impacted BOTH valves and there would be other, pretty obvious, damage as well. It may be something as simple as a bad pushrod. I agree with trying a new pushrod. Might be a pretty cheap fix. Not a big job to take out the engine of a Sunstar. Most of the $$ for that job are a new head, valves, etc at retail price. Lots of used Command heads on eBay for reasonable $$.