Sign in to follow this  
larry8200

Got Plow?

snohiker
quote:
Originally posted by larry8200
quote:
Originally posted by snohiker
larry with all the land out back i really think you need a garden next year put that stuff to work
I'm planning on it. :D
sweet your going to have alot of fun

larry8200
"sweet your going to have alot of fun" And a lot of veggies! I guess turning up established turf will be a acid test for the tractor and plow both. I'm thinking 12 by 25 would probably be a good size to start.

timflury
My garden is 12x20. You will have that plowed in no time flat. I spend less than an hour and a half both plowing and tilling. That includes swapping attachments. I also played it safe and called Digger's Hotline before I started ground engaging. I was lucky because my next door neighbors tv cabe is about a foot away from my plot.:O:O Have you ever plowed with the tractor before??? I highly recommend downloading an operators manual from Simpletractors or Brinly for correct setup and use. http://www.brinly.com/manuals/Brinly-Products/BH-Ground-Engaging/PP-1200BH_PP-51BH/L-1043_PP-510BH.pdf I also recommend sanding off the paint on the face of the moldboard. Mine is all shined up and I have no problem with soil sticking to the surface. When I store mine, a nice thin film of grease on the face will keep the rust away. Most of all, have fun with that attachment!:D:D

snohiker
quote:
Originally posted by larry8200
"sweet your going to have alot of fun" And a lot of veggies! I guess turning up established turf will be a acid test for the tractor and plow both. I'm thinking 12 by 25 would probably be a good size to start.
just make sure you make the rows far enough apart to get the tractor down them when the veggies start growing

larry8200
I haven't plowed before, all new. If it dries out a little I'm thinking of breaking ground in the next few weeks and getting some manure to spread on it. Fortunatly I dont have to worry about buried cables here, but it might be fun to call them, after all, it's the LAW! I figured use would quickly wear the paint off, but maybe sanding it off would be a good idea. I was thinking 12 x 25, but I could do all that just in corn, and I want to do green peppers, tomatos and some squash at least, so 20 x 50 might be more like it. I'm thinking of taking the tines off one side of a tiller and I could drive right over the rows at first to weed. I have a 5008 Broadmoor with a little tiller, might make that a weeder. Going to have to do some measuring and figuring. Whatever I do, I'll be sure to have FUN. :)

MPH
Larry, that's nice looking sod, if it were me I'd spread some manure on it, plow it under this fall, then just let it sit til spring. The grass should be rotted down a lot buy then and the ground will be nice and mellow to till up.

larry8200
quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Larry, that's nice looking sod, if it were me I'd spread some manure on it, plow it under this fall, then just let it sit til spring. The grass should be rotted down a lot buy then and the ground will be nice and mellow to till up.
Where the pictures were taken isn't where the garden goes, it's out back and has gone back to lawn. Otherwise I plan on doing jut that. Spreading some manure and plowing it under this fall, and trying the disk harrow I have next spring, and probably ending up usinga roto-tiller.

timflury
Sounds like you have a good plan there Larry. I'm still going to push sanding the moldboard face. Once soil sticks to the moldboard, it is REALLY hard to pull the plow through the soil.

Sign in to follow this