Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Older series deck

Brettw

I have a deck I am rebuilding, a 48" LH discharge. I was not the one who dismantled it when it was sand blasted. I figured I could easily use my current deck as a guide, but....it is similar to the deck for my 7100 series, but the differences are enough that I am going to need some schematics. For instance: the 7100 series deck shell has a deep "bowl" where the mandrels and towers bolt down. This deck is flat. The idler pulley has a tension spring that is heavy, and fairly long. The 7100, not nearly as heavy and much shorter. This deck has a 5" driven pulley, the kind that actually is two pulleys in one assembly. The pulley assembly for the 7100 series is the same, except for the driven pulley being 6" instead of 5". I cannot get the belt that drives all three mandrels on the 7100 series deck, to work on this deck. So, my parts manual and exploded view of a 7100 series deck just doesn't quite add up. If someone could post from an earlier deck model, that may help considerably. Also, I believe that this deck came from an Allis. It was white in color.

What you have posted is the correct deck from what I can tell. What I think I have is a smorgasborg of stuff and that's why I am struggling. The pulley assemblies I have would not allow for a belt cover, as they sit too high. This may be one reason the deck did not come with belt covers. The lift point of the deck would be different as to where it pivots. It would end up in the center of the deck, and not off to the right a bit. I still can't quite make out where the spring actually attaches to a fixed point. I have a stud that it appears to be the mounting point, but it must have to be attached through the right mandrel mounting holes. Thanks so far, Ray, this is a good start.

Does the pulley look like the one in this pic? This is a 48" deck that came with a 3210v tractor.Has the original banded belt setup and the pulley is 4-1/2" across at the top.Have no idea the model # as the tag was missing. Strange that your deck doesn't have covers.Would be easy to tell.It would have 14 small holes in the top surface of the deck shell. [IMG]http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr342/locknut-1/Simplicity%203210V/001-5.jpg[/IMG]

Locknut, that deck is likely a 990576, Yours too Brett if it has the double V pulley, but probably did not come from the factory on a 3210. The 10 hp generally came with a 42" deck, the 48" would have come on the 3212 To my knowledge (I've been wrong before) that double V pulley set up only came on the 3200 series Simplicities and the b 210 212 series A/C's. 42" on the 10's and choice of 42" or 48" on the 12's Brett, the arbor belt on a 7100 series 48" deck is 93.1 inches long, on a 3212 48" deck, like I think you have, it is only 85.2 inches

Thanks, Ray. That is what I figured, the spring attaches to a stud that is part of the mandrel mounting bolts. I have the stud, just was not sure where it goes. I do not have the double driven pulley as shown, it is a single bolt pulley assembly, a 5" driven pulley, with a shaft that leads to a smaller pulley that drives the mandrels. This is all one unit, welded together. The deck had covers at one time, just not when I got it, like so many decks we see. I will have to determine belt length, based upon the pulley setup, the deck, and the idler. Thanks again for all the help.

Well, this just isn't going to work. I figured out that the arbors and mandrels I have will not work with this deck. The pulleys sit too high. So now I have a great deck shell with all the parts but the arbors, and three great rebuilt arbors, for the newer style shell. Oh well, at least I have a bunch of great parts. Can't do much with them right now, but I got 'em!8D Thanks for all of your help!

I have one spacer, Bob, but they would need to be dropped more than 1 spacer anyway. It is a completely different setup I am trying to make. The arbor setups on this deck originally mounted to the underside of the deck. The newer style mounts on top. The old deck has a "flat" plane that the arbors bolt to. The newer style has stamped out areas that are about an inch below the deck plane. I will likely list the works as parts or a package less the arbors. You can certainly have your pulley setup back, Bob. And I thank you once again!8D