Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Case vs Simplicity

I have had simplicity tractors for a few years now, starting with a 725 and now with my upgraded 2216 (2210). I have a 64 manual lift landlord in the garage, its in rough shape. Very stiff at just about every pivot point and missing a few nuts and bolts but mostly complete. I have a 10hp motor (that I took out of the 2210) I could put into it but its still missing a working starter generator and battery. Well I just got a hydro lift/drive Case 222 with a mower deck and plow. It looks in good shape for its age, the two attachments are nice. It came with some nice belts, original manuals including the shop manual in perfect condition. Its not running right now. Ive been fiddling with it and it looks like it needs a new solenoid and ignition switch. The hi - lo selector is not working which has me a little worried it may have tranny issues. Anyway since I have most the parts to clean up the 64 landlord and the couple I'm missing I can pull off the case. Plus the outer LL canuse all my exiting attachments. So what would YOU do? See about fixing up the case or just gut what I need for the LL and scrap it?

Why chose?8D I would fix the LL and do the Case next for a curiosity project as it becomes available. Each company has a unique ability, like Deere's speed and Simplicity's cut. Not sure what Case would be but I know a couple people who love them.

I have had both the cream colored and all orange versions of the case. The all orange ones to me are nicer because they wont run away going downhill. They mow pretty nice and are well made. I fixed the ones I had up out of curiosity. If I had a better engine in the all orange one I probably would have kept it around.

The early versions of Case didn't have the holding valve but first became an option and then standard about 1985. There is a way to hold them back some using the detant setting but the valve is nicer. Had one Case and 2 Ingersolls. Switched to Simplicity because of lack of Ingersoll dealers. Like the big wheel version better. Fix it and you might like playing around with it.

I just picked up a case 155 for $150 (a 1 owner a woman). There is a slight leak somewhere in the tranney and it is tough at times shifting from high to low.I just saw one a friend was stripping down and it looks like the high low handle attaches to a rod the slides between the massive gears so I would assume the gears are worn preventing it from shifting easy.The gears seem much larger and bulkier and to be built more rugged than the early Simplicitys and Allis Chalmers.This is an early one and yes they do take off going downhill and I have since learned to mow parralel to the slope after I nearly ended up in my creek.Someone told me that you could purchase a "Hold Back Valve" that would prevent them frome free wheeling on the slopes.Does anybody know where to purchase this valve and would it be an easy installation?

Don't know if the hold-back valves are available from Eastman or not. Go to the Case/Ingersoll version of MTF and look up Brian Hildret and he could tell you more about parts and if they fit. there was a guy in Iowa that a bunch of used ones on Craig's List. Don't know if I could find it but will look. Appear on ebay quite often.

John, Thanks for the reply,that is a web site with alot of good info. I had no idea that anyone even discussed Case tractors on the internet.There is a post ther on installing a hold back valve on a larger Case model then mine.It really looks to be quite a detailed installation but I will look into it. Thanks for the info. Vinnie

Here is a craiglist ad for the guy from Iowa who was mentioned above. I have purchased a number of Case parts from him the the past. (I know the ad makes no mention of Case but he usually has plenty of Case parts on hand) http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/grd/2571013085.html

I have owned 2 of the Case 200 series tractors. (all orange) The transmissions are bullet proof. Yes they can runaway on hills but you can compensate for that or add the valve. The hi/lo might just need to be freed up. The hi range was too fast for mowing and usually would only be used for transport. These tractors would move pretty fast in hi range. The mowing decks are heavy duty and mow well. They even make a rear discharge deck that can be used with a sweeper. I would keep it around as a back up.

The hi-lo slipped into position with a little push of the tractor. The guys on the Case list told me to do that. Seems like I just need to sort out the wiring this weekend and she will be ready to go. Amazing condition, all original laminated manuals, new belts. Who ever the original owner was took real good care of this thing. I do think I'm going to fix it up though and post it on CL to trade for another simplicity lol.

The tranny's on the Case tractors are bullet proof but not well designed. They rely on the weight of the tractor to maintain traction as one wheel drives the tractor in high and the opposite wheel in low. They never pull together. With the gear pump and hydraulic drive instead of hydrostatic drive they can be a handful to operate. But they were very well built tractors and look GREAT.

I don't even think the 725 is in the same class as the 222 case. Maybe more like a 7100 series could match up. So fix the case and modify the simplicity deck to fit the case.:D the best of both worlds.

Andre, I really can't see my self getting off my Case 155 and shifting it from low to hi range and then getting back on.Also I wish someone would explain how to make the adjustment to prevent the Case from free wheeling down the hill because adding a hold back valve looks rather complicated to me. I really do not think there is even one part from the Case that will fit on your Simplicity.

quote:
Originally posted by Vinnie_A
Andre, I really can't see my self getting off my Case 155 and shifting it from low to hi range and then getting back on.Also I wish someone would explain how to make the adjustment to prevent the Case from free wheeling down the hill because adding a hold back valve looks rather complicated to me. I really do not think there is even one part from the Case that will fit on your Simplicity.
Well the starter / generator and battery would fit and thats really all I need for parts to rebuild the '64 LL ;) I got it running yesterday, the case that is. Replaced the solenoid, changed the oil, changed the gas, shot of ether and away she went. Ran and worked really perfect for a bit but then died. Pretty strong machine, I was using the dozer blade to knock down a small hill and level out. Takes a LOT of getting used to, more lever work and less foot. Makes it harder to use imo, if both hands are busy controlling speed and implement nothing left for steering :( If/when I get it running again I'll take it down a steep hill to check out the freewheeling. I think the retard position may prevent that but since its not running I can't test it :)